Custom Map #21: The Wave. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, December 01, 2020, 01:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamewolf393

This map was definitely hard, took me two tries and it was the first time I ever used orbitals for anything. My first try I tried focusing entirely on AC production hoping to outproduce the creeper but that didnt work. Second time I just maxxed out the sheer number of bombers my energy output could handle and had a 4 deep mortar line until the creeper was thin enough to advance. The occasional conversion bomb orbital really helped.

MrWizard

This map taught me the meaning of pain. I didn't realize you could turn off the AC blocking on the walls the first time I beat it. Terps, cannons and air superiority for the long and painful victory.

Vinciere

It took almost 2 friggin hours, but FINALLY I finished. Thanks to everyone who talked about airstrips. I'll be honest, orbitals were essentially useless. Took too long.

Thanks for making the map!

sand2000

Stupid question: what can I do with the extra ERN? I can use only six, or am I wrong?

Fireswamp

Quote from: sand2000 on January 26, 2021, 09:08:41 PM
Stupid question: what can I do with the extra ERN? I can use only six, or am I wrong?

You can ERN individual units to drastically improve their abilities.

Sorrontis

Click the unit you want to ERN. There's a grey button under (Arm/Active/Supply) that says: "ERN: None" (If I remember correctly). Clicking it will change it to "ERN: Want" ... once it gets the ERN, it'll say something else, but I forgot what.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

sereal

One of the most difficult maps i've played so far.

Using singularity on the wave worked very well in breaking it up, making them much easier to handle.

One of the things i found in this map is, when the AC guns use gather ac, the ac amount goes so high it starts to INT overflow and becomes creeper
Using singularity also causes INT overflow and the creeper becomes AC

SssirCreepersss

I was doubting myself at first reading the forum, but I was able to do this on the first try.  I was a bit worried when my first two lines of defense went down, but I was able to "turn the tide" by spamming mortars,terps and using dampener orbitals appropriately.  My best advice for anyone struggling:

As soon as you can build a terp, send it to the front to grab the two urns there.  Fill all 6 slots in the earn portal, and put the last one in a greenar refinery.  Once your economy can handle it, spam mortars at the walls to slow down the creep, pulling back units as it breaks the wall.  Start making a ton of terps, almost as many as mortars.  First you want to flatten the terrain around the greenar mothers, this will greatly boost their production.  I was able to put 3 refineries down after making it flat.  Set up 2 rockets, if you find you have a surplus of greenar, build more.  Make sure you are building miners and putting them all on energy.  AC production is not as necessary since the breeder terrain is doing that for you.  Build about 4 runways for air support.  Add more bombers as your economy is able to handle them.  Meanwhile, have terps start to flatten the terrain behind your front lines.  The rough terrain makes it impossible to cluster mortars together, which is needed in order to oppress the creep.  Have your mortars fall back onto the flat terrain, if you have any orbitals use dampening if the creeper starts to encroach.  Once your eco peaks you should be able to have at least 30 bombers putting constant pressure on the front line.  Having about 10 AC bombers might help with pushes.  With your army of mortars and terps, move up slowly and flatten the terrain as you go.  Occasionally use orbitals to assist in pushes or to prevent the creeper from overtaking the frontline.  As your front moves up, remember to reassign your aircraft to the front.  It helps to put the bombers into two squads for better coverage.  Rinse and repeat until you make it to the end.

knighty

took me forever

I thought I was about to die... then the creep started being beaten back... honestly no idea why, maybe it's just with so much creeper there's more lag between doing something and seeing the effect

never through to use bombers... nicked that ideas from this tread :-o