[Tutorial] So, you want to learn how to make maps in Particle Fleet

Started by Sorrontis, October 22, 2017, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorrontis

Hello everyone and everyone, Sorrontis is your guide to making "better" *cough cough* maps in PF:E.

I will be making a series of video tutorial on the subject, it'll be great fun. Obviously, I have already started.
Now, don't expect the best, most polished off video, I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to video editing. Also, sorry about the voice, I really didn't know I sound like that.

We'll be making a map, named Teaching Map.
Episode 1: - Corresponding Map: Teaching Map [#918]
Episode 2: - Corresponding Map: Teaching Map 2.0
Episode 3: - Corresponding Map: Teaching Map 2.0
Episode 4: - Corresponding Map: Teaching Map 2.0
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

cpaca

You're probably grumpy because you have to make an EASY map. 
I mean 
PHYSICS doesn't like impossibilities and will such make things discouraged 

nice tutorials, tho
To use [OUR] Custom Modules, go to Forums/Knuckle Cracker/PFE/Map Makers, Ship Builders, and Coders, Go to the pinned posts, find the one named "Custom Modules Thread", Open it, Scroll down until you find ShipModule, Apply that into your map, do not apply it into map if one copy already exists, Apply the Adder script (Sometimes named "Master.prpl, sometimes [shipname]Adder, etc.) and the actual used scripts [which i will state in my posts]. If one copy already exists, do not apply another copy. -The CMC :-)

svartmes

Awesome! I've been trying to get into mapmaking but I'm struggling and not really enjoying the process. It'll be very interesting to see more experienced mapmakers workflow and learn some things. Hopefully it will lead to even more user creater maps. Thanks for this!

One cool video you might do is to record you making one of your bigger maps from start to finish (might need to speed up the footage) and maybe do a commentary over it going over your ideas and intentions to executions.

Sorrontis

I'm working with this small map to show everything to new users. That will include good ship design (not like mine) and then basic PRPL (maybe).

And then, I'll think about it. A full map takes me about 5 hours to make. Assuming the PRPL doesn't hit a wall.

EDIT: Also also, K, is this a pinnable post - do people want this pinned?

FOXX

I have watched the Vids -> Great Stuff Sorrontis. This will help a lot of people who want to make Maps.
I was thinking of doing this myself but i never recorded something and didn't know how that works so i didn't do this.

What program do you use for recording and editing and so?
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

Sorrontis

Quote from: FOXX on October 26, 2017, 06:42:15 AM
I have watched the Vids -> Great Stuff Sorrontis. This will help a lot of people who want to make Maps.
I was thinking of doing this myself but i never recorded something and didn't know how that works so i didn't do this.

What program do you use for recording and editing and so?

I use OBS to record. I do not edit, no clue how.

FOXX

Quote from: Sorrontis on October 26, 2017, 09:15:56 AM
I use OBS to record. I do not edit, no clue how.
So it's just learning how a record program works and then upload the Vid.
Thought it would have more steps than that.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

Sorrontis

There's a lot more steps if you want to make a polished video. I'm not very polished.

FOXX

No need for Polishing up a Youtube Video.
So maybe this is a project for the future.

Still going to watch your vids.
Greets
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

TonnyT

I can edit with decent sound quality, but I have zero idea how to make maps.
Novus Imperium Corporation
CEO: Tony Carlisle

Today our concern must be with the future. For the world is changing. The old era is ending. The old ways will not do.

-President John Fitzgerald Kennedy

kajacx

Kek, I just made my first attempt at a PRPL tutorial today ... 1 hour of mostly boring rambling of a madman. I have a lot to improve.
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

Sorrontis

Nice. I won't do it then, you're probably better than me. Post the link!

kajacx

Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

FOXX

Quote from: kajacx on October 28, 2017, 03:32:07 PM
Kek, I just made my first attempt at a PRPL tutorial today ... 1 hour of mostly boring rambling of a madman. I have a lot to improve.

PRPL tutorial -> yes please.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!