Mega Map Pack?

Started by teengamer, August 26, 2011, 08:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teengamer

What about the idea of a mega map pack that had all released maps? That way new players, or players who had to get rid of their CW2 data can get all the maps back in one big zip file. I could do this, but I would need to know where the .cw2 maps are located. Let me know whether you think this would be useful or not.

Grauniad

In the past the mega-map packs for CW1 was not such a great idea. I think it is best if players download maps  as they want'need. Many would not really care about past maps that they played. I for one delete a lot of older maps from my maps list.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Fisherck

I agree. Once the maps get into the thousands or even just the hundreds... it's not worth it. And anyways, Virgil made the ingame dowload system very convenient. :)

But, a map pack for series would be a good idea... ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

thepenguin

Quote from: teengamer on August 26, 2011, 08:03:39 AM
What about the idea of a mega map pack that had all released maps? That way new players, or players who had to get rid of their CW2 data can get all the maps back in one big zip file. I could do this, but I would need to know where the .cw2 maps are located. Let me know whether you think this would be useful or not.

how about you put together a map pack, teengamer?
We have become the creeper...

teengamer

Quote from: thepenguin on August 26, 2011, 09:22:50 AM
Quote from: teengamer on August 26, 2011, 08:03:39 AM

how about you put together a map pack, teengamer?
I would, but I have no idea where the downloaded map files are located on the HDD.

Michionlion

located when you download them ingame? %appdata%/CreeperWorld2/customgames
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

BigRed45

Where are the downloaded games stored on Mac OS?
The folder  %appdata%/CreeperWorld2/customgames doesn't exist. In the KnuckleCracker folder I can see the package CreeperWorld2 and use Finder to show it's contents. But there is no file named customgames.

What I would like to do is load another author's game into the editor so I can see more of how they accomplished a certain task.
There has never been anything so permanent as a temporary tax.

Grauniad

Quote from: BigRed45 on August 27, 2011, 11:58:36 PM
Where are the downloaded games stored on Mac OS?
The folder  %appdata%/CreeperWorld2/customgames doesn't exist. In the KnuckleCracker folder I can see the package CreeperWorld2 and use Finder to show it's contents. But there is no file named customgames.

What I would like to do is load another author's game into the editor so I can see more of how they accomplished a certain task.

Mac OS gameData.dat location for each game:
/Users/<user>/Library/Preferences/CreeperWorld
/Users/<user>/Library/Preferences/CreeperWorld2

Check for a folder called "customgames" in the same location.

BigRed45

Thanks for the help Grauniad. I couldn't find what you suggested, but I did find another way to do what I was trying. I'm using OSX Lion and perhaps there are a few changes in directory structure.

The folder named "Library" doesn't exist on my machine under Macintosh HD/Users/<user>/, several folders of that name do exist in other places.

There are no folders named CreeperWorld or CreeperWorld2. There is a package named CreeperWorld (ditto my following comments for CreeperWorld2) in:
Macintosh HD/Users/<user>/Applications/KnuckleCracker
Upon viewing package contents there are a number of folders and files, one of which is the Unix Executable of the same name as the package. There is no file named "gameData.dat" here or anywhere on my hard drive. There is no folder named "customgames" here or anywhere on my hard drive.

It's just as well, I'm not really trying to alter a software package so well put together by Virgil. The following was my solution for viewing other authors' maps in the editor (perhaps this may be added to a Wiki on custom map editing):
- Instead of the in-game map downloader (a very nice upgrade in CW2) use the Forum to find the map in question.
- Don't left click DOWNLOAD, right click or control click and use the pop up to "Save target as..."
- Save it to some directory you'll remember (maybe a sub of the one you keep your custom map creations)
- The file will have a generic name ending in .cw2.php , rename it as you see fit (i.e. the author's choice in names) and drop the .php
- This is a legitimate .cw2 file that you can now load in the CW2 map editor

You can now view all kinds of things, including clever fields, even if the playable version of the map doesn't allow field viewing.
On a personal note, please don't steal other people's maps and post them as your own. If you see something you like, give credit where it's due.

I used the preceding to find out how J (in the map AC factory) managed to turn creeper into anti-creeper. After much study I learned the particular field setup needed to do so. This may be a game glitch, if so, please don't take it away. BTW you can also turn anti-creep back to creep. This has inspired a story line that I'm currently working on for a group of 3-5 maps.

There has never been anything so permanent as a temporary tax.

Echo51

Library is hidden by default of 10.7(Lion) and up, Snow leopard didn't have it hidden.
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Grauniad

Quote from: Echo51 on September 01, 2011, 10:22:09 AM
Library is hidden by default of 10.7(Lion) and up, Snow leopard didn't have it hidden.

Instructions on how to "unhide" it might be helpful if you have them.