Bad CW3 Performance

Started by Gebimsel, November 07, 2013, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gebimsel

Hello,

CW3 is a great game but if I use more than 20 Units like Strafer, Blaster, Terp ... the game begins to stutter and doesnt run in realtime anymore.(The Time Counter needs for 1 Second 2 ore more  :( )

Also it freezes for a few seconds if you select more than 20 air units.
I play it in 1980x1080 lowering the Resulution ore disable graphical effects like explosions doesnt help.
Running it in Windows ore in full Screen makes also no difference.

This is ignoring on big maps because i like to build defensive lines.

My CPU doesnt use more than 30 % of all 4 Cores and my Graphics at 15%.

Is there any way to fix that laggy gameplay ?

My Specs:
AMD Phenom 2 X4 965
Geforce 460 gtx2
8 GB Ram

Grauniad

CW3, like most games cannot use more than one core. SO if your CPU goes over 25% with CW3, you have maxed out the available CPU for CW3. It's no different than many (most?) games.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

The bigger the map you play, the harder it is on your system.  Which maps are you playing and what size are they typically?  Note that other applications can eat into your performance as well.... especially if you are running the 32 bit version of the game and you have several other things eating up free memory.

You can get the latest beta build here (the 64bit version too):
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14505.0

Note that I will be publishing an updated official release most likely later today, but it will be very similar to the 1.07 beta build.  So you can grab 1.07 now and then 1.08 later today, or you can just wait for 1.08.

Gebimsel

@Grauniad

For me it uses more than 1 Core because if i look the single Core usage all Cores are doing something and none single is on 99% they are all about 10-20 % changing all the time from Core to Core.
Also tried to disable 3 of them then the only left is on 99% and the overall usage is at 25%. If all 4 are on it goes from 20 -35 % overall usage.

@virgilw

I am using the 64 bit beta 1.07 and also on small maps the Performance drops occurs if i build many troops especialy air units (25+) but on big maps is more place to build. :)

No other Applications are running in the Background and i got 5 GB free Ram to use when the Game is running.
Also I tried to disabling Antivirus and disabled all unessesary Windows Services with Game Booster but its still the same. :(
THX I will test the 1.08 perhaps it will be better.

Now im checking something with my Onboard Sound driver (which I think is up to date) because if I terraform with many Terps (10+) ore start many Bomber, I only hear the sound of the Terps ore Bomber an no other Sound from the Guns which are firing ... perhaps this can be the issue.

Kingo

Just an idea but for me, if I play in windowed mode (at max size for the windows) instead of full screen mode, it considerably improves graphical performance (for my PC - though I think it applies in general)

daniels220

CW3 seems like a perfect candidate for multi-threading, I must say. For me it's not the graphics I don't think—what used to work in CW2 was to make the window really tiny so you couldn't see anything, and then the game would run faster—great for those grindy maps where you just have like 26 launchers and 4 blasters wailing away at some relatively contained creeper. In CW3 I tried that and it didn't help.

My thinking is that it's the packet routing, unit AI and just general book-keeping ("where are the 50-odd spores in flight right now?") that's actually chewing into the processing power on large maps—for instance I have one of teks maps, thor's thunder, open right now. I'm making 370+ energy and using maybe half of it most of the time. I have probably nigh on a hundred beams because seriously, F spores. And of course the game runs at like 5 fps and less-than-realtime (I have it set at 3x, which does actually speed it up over 1x/2x, but also drops the framerate. Fair trade on a grindy map, but less than ideal).

I guess with the game released it's too late to do a major refactor like introducing multithreading, but it would be nice to see some performance improvements and, if Virgil runs it through a profiler and finds that graphics is the bottleneck, maybe a low graphics mode?

Michionlion

I'm not sure that Unity even supports multi-threading.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!