Bug report: errors in :destroyed function create ghost cores, break game loop

Started by planetfall, October 11, 2014, 10:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetfall

It turns out if you produce an error in the :destroyed function, pretty crazy stuff happens. Of particular note is that the core doesn't actually go away when the destroy is called, but its images are removed and its health is set to 0. Worse, recompiles don't seem to affect the "ghost core," so you can have two cores on the same map with the same script, but executing completely different commands. This also means that if you create such a core, then accidentally hit "save" instead of "load" (yes, I've done it before, they're so close together!) there is absolutely no way to remove the core.

This is a contrived example, but it will reproduce the problem:

once
150 SetTimer0
endonce

GetTimer0 eq0 if
Self 0 Destroy
endif

:destroyed
0 0 500 SetCreeper
1 0 div

If you enclose only the Self 0 Destroy with a once block, it will also break the main game update loop. Fun!

I guess people should test their scripts thoroughly, but this seems to be a broader case than "delay in do loop with awake function" and far harder to 100% eliminate (dividing arbitrary variables etc.)
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

knucracker

Yeah, the event handlers (like destroyed) were added in later rather than sooner and as such can have little issues like this.  Next game, I hope to address some of these edge cases.  On your specific example, the divide by 0 error is one I should be catching regardless of where it occurs.