Bug?: The ballistics of spores

Started by Loren Pechtel, March 28, 2014, 12:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loren Pechtel

I was on a large map and suddenly a third of my base, including my forge is gone despite a nearly solid line of beams that the spores had to cross.

Some observation revealed what appears to have happened.  My forge was exactly in the NW corner of the map.  The spore launchers were near the NE corner of the map and my beam line was nearly in the middle of the map and this was a fairly large map.

Spores that were aimed for the north part of my base would be far above the edge of the map--even off the screen--and only passed within the fringe of the beam engagement range.  The few that could engage went dry (there were a total of 18 spores per launch) and the spores got through.

Of course another line in front of my base would defend it but it's not reasonable that they should be able to evade a line like that.

Asbestos

Spores arc slightly north to make it look more realistic. Always have a spare tower or two at the top of the map to catch spore that go out of the screen.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Asbestos on March 28, 2014, 01:06:02 PM
Spores arc slightly north to make it look more realistic. Always have a spare tower or two at the top of the map to catch spore that go out of the screen.

I had a beam tower at the very top of the screen, it wasn't enough.  There wasn't even any possible configuration of the battle line at that point that would have stopped the spores, the only possible defense was towers back in my base.

I think the fix would be to modify the beam targeting logic so that the off-screen distance is capped to a fairly low amount (say, half the range of the tower.)  That way a spore that goes insanely far north will still be shot down.  Retain the arc, just modify the in-range calculation.

Karsten75

What map exactly was this? I'd like to play and see if I can recreate this.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 28, 2014, 07:48:34 PM
What map exactly was this? I'd like to play and see if I can recreate this.

I *THINK* it was #131 but I won't swear to it.