Updating Desura version of CW3

Started by Grey Aside, January 15, 2014, 07:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Aside

Hi,

I'd like to know how to update the Desura version of CW3. I saw the notice on the title screen that a new version is available. If I follow the link on the title screen I can download a patch that does not update my version. I tried pointing the patch installer to the correct folder but that didn't work.

Do I wait for Desura to update it or am I doing something wrong?

Anyway, thanks for an amazing game. I preferred the original CW (over CW2, though still awesome) so it's everything I hoped it would be and more.  ;D

Grauniad

I'll let Virgil fill you in on the gory details, but you're going to have to wait for the Desura folks to do what they need to do for your in-Desura version to work.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grey Aside

Okay, bad news but kinda expected.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I saved less than a pound buying CW3 from Desura instead of directly. Silly me. I should have bought direct like I did with CW 1+2.

CW1 is still the best £12 I ever spent on a videogame. Was it really just made by one guy?

knucracker

The links for the standalone installers at Desura should be up to date.... but those are no different than the version you download from here.  The mcf version (the version that runs in the Desura desktop client) is sitting there waiting on somebody at Desura to approve it for release.  I waited over a day before I updated the currentversion file at knucklecracker because I knew that Desura desktop client users would get that message.  But I got tired of waiting on the approval and holding up everybody else.

If it isn't updated by tomorrow, I'll ping them to see what is going on.

--edit--
Btw, you can install the version of the game from here if you want.  It will work off the same save games and settings as the desura client version.  The version here just goes into your program file directory like any other app so it won't mess up the desura version of the game.  Later when the desura version is updated, you can uninstall the 'regular' version if you like and just go back to using the desura client version.  You settings, key, game saves... they are all stored in the same place regardless of which version you use.

Grey Aside

Thanks for the explanation and especially for bothering to wait a day!

Hopefully Desura will update quickly.

If you ever do a sale I'll definitely buy again to opt out of this update lag.

Thanks again.

--edit--
So I can download a normal version and it will be activated with my Desura key? Sounds perfect! Are the demos full games or do I need an different download?

Grauniad

Download from here: http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld3/patches.php

It should activate with the same key as you used for the Desura version.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grey Aside

That worked perfectly, thankyou!

I now have a 64-bit version of CW3 running independent of Desura.

It's actually a lot more responsive on my little AMD E350 system than the 32-bit version. Nice.

Thankyou Grauniad and virgilw for helping me so quickly.