Bug report: Drunk HQ driver(CEO?!)

Started by jaworeq, September 17, 2016, 01:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaworeq

So I just started an exchange map, saw planetfall's time and wanted to cheese it as well!
And saw my HQ shooting...the next map I guess.

knucracker

Cannons determine a location to shoot at based on their chosen particle's trajectory at the time of firing.  It's a weakness of cannons and why missiles are better at always hitting something.  Particles that are moving in other than a straight line are hard for cannons to hit.

Karsten75

As a ship commander, you should know that there's a difference between a helmsman ("driver") and the Weapons officer(s) in charge of weapons fire control. :)

The latter are notorious for over-targeting and firing multiple shots at the same target, thus sometimes missing  because the target is destroyed, or because the target moved erratically after the shot was fired. :)

TheWife

I'm not sure there ever WAS a target the way they were firing. :D

Karsten75

Quote from: TheWife on September 17, 2016, 01:59:36 PM
I'm not sure there ever WAS a target the way they were firing. :D

You think that was mot a gun and they were just happy to see an emitter? hence shooting all over the place?

jaworeq

Quote from: virgilw on September 17, 2016, 01:56:17 PM
Cannons determine a location to shoot at based on their chosen particle's trajectory at the time of firing.  It's a weakness of cannons and why missiles are better at always hitting something.  Particles that are moving in other than a straight line are hard for cannons to hit.
I guess that could make sense. Particle spawning at emitter, wanting to go right, but fields pulling it to the left. So if HQ calculated future positions based on initial direction, shooting offscreen makes sense.