Custom Map #308: Minefield. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, November 08, 2016, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Quote from: isoyama on November 11, 2016, 01:19:17 PM
Simple, dumb, poorly thought out and generally unpleasant map. You just set x4 speed and a+move ships until they stop exploding. What so difficult about it?

Simple, dumb, poorly thought out and generally unpleasant comment...

Sorrontis

Simple, dumb, poorly thought out and generally unpleasant map. You just set x4 speed and a+move ships until they stop exploding. What so difficult about it?

hahaha! Thanks for the comment. This will totally help me make better and more interesting maps. Also, it wasn't meant to be difficult. Just testing interesting mechanics.

Quote from: Doug on November 11, 2016, 01:28:47 PM

Simple, dumb, poorly thought out and generally unpleasant comment...

Don't feed the trolls. :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Johnny Haywire

You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

D0m0nik

Quote from: Sorrontis on November 08, 2016, 07:57:46 PM
This map will not be popular. But I had to make it. Sorry?

Haha, great first comment, very humble. It will not be popular indeed, those mines are not fun and constantly rebuilding is rubbish. The mines were so effective that it was irrelevant what I built as it was all just cannon fodder which made all of the wonderful custom units quite pointless I am afraid. I still enjoyed the game in a strange twisted!
It would be great if you could build an expensive unit that can detect mines in a small radius, kind of like a detector. It would also be nice to have hard and soft mines so that they are not all so deadly! The soft ones could be just visible so that you can see the mine field but can't avoid it.

Sorrontis

Quote from: D0m0nik on November 11, 2016, 06:54:21 PM
Quote from: Sorrontis on November 08, 2016, 07:57:46 PM
This map will not be popular. But I had to make it. Sorry?

Haha, great first comment, very humble. It will not be popular indeed, those mines are not fun and constantly rebuilding is rubbish. The mines were so effective that it was irrelevant what I built as it was all just cannon fodder which made all of the wonderful custom units quite pointless I am afraid. I still enjoyed the game in a strange twisted!
It would be great if you could build an expensive unit that can detect mines in a small radius, kind of like a detector. It would also be nice to have hard and soft mines so that they are not all so deadly! The soft ones could be just visible so that you can see the mine field but can't avoid it.

I am working on changing the mines so they have a little flashing red light. Also, the big problem with the mines is that they only detect the CM (for now) and not the edge of the ship. I will be working on that though.

Oblivion

If you ever do figure out how to make things detect ship edges please let me know if its no problem to you, I couldn't think of anyway to do either.
~Memes have been scientifrically proven to be the very essence of life unto itself~

Sorrontis

Quote from: Oblivion on November 12, 2016, 06:32:39 PM
If you ever do figure out how to make things detect ship edges please let me know if its no problem to you, I couldn't think of anyway to do either.

I think you can pull the properties of the ship (X and Y size) and back calculate the edges. It's a bit more mathematically involved but can be done. It won't be an exact outline of the ship, but will be close enough.

GoodMorning

We may also eventually get the capacity to get a list of the virtual particles of a ship, which would solve your problem neatly.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Quote from: GoodMorning on November 12, 2016, 06:43:48 PM
We may also eventually get the capacity to get a list of the virtual particles of a ship, which would solve your problem neatly.

Oh, yes. That would smooth sailing from there.

GoodMorning

As at V1.02, it is possible to select the invisible Cores, and so may the mines be found before their time. See attached.

Sorrontis

GoodMorning

It does remove the complete invisibility issue.

Sorrontis

TypoNinja

Quote from: Doug on November 10, 2016, 05:13:04 PM
I quite enjoyed this map. Nice to have something different.

I'm disappointing that every difficult map gets a low score. All the time that goes into these just to have a couple noobies that can't beat it give you bad ratings

There is a fine line between difficult, and frustrating, or tedious.

You crossed it. Invisible mines that I can only run suicide ships into. Great. So I'll just spend all my time rebuilding the same for suicide ships over and over, while I fly them in circles looking for the mines so I can actually get on with playing the map.

Pass.