Suggestions for CW-next

Started by Grauniad, January 04, 2012, 04:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkily

Quote from: Nemoricus on November 02, 2012, 08:07:28 PM
It made the final mission of CW2 go more quickly if you had that many.
Ah, yes.  I don't like the mechanic of direct damage to emitters . . . or packet spam.  Though there are ways around packet spam, with some tweaks to packet handling.

Nemoricus

I was mostly thinking of how they are the only weapon that can damage the Nexus.

lurkily

Quote from: Nemoricus on November 03, 2012, 06:06:44 AM
I was mostly thinking of how they are the only weapon that can damage the Nexus.
I included the nexus as a class of emitter, when I said I didn't like that mechanic - sorry I wasn't clear.

I can understand why it might be useful in CW2, but I didn't like the game requiring that mechanic to progress against a nexus.  Anyway, all that is slightly off-topic.

While I would like to see weapons that can justify a huge power draw in CW3 (without being an "I win" button) I would prefer not to have the packet spam from a single unit, too.

inspiratieloos

But, what kind of weapon would justify the power draw without being 'I win'? It would almost have to be horribly inefficient.

On the note of dark beams, I think something should be done with conversion bombs, you can explain not using dark beams because they're useless in open space as opposed to the tunnels you have in CW2, but there is no reason not to use conversion bombs when the technology is there.

A conversion bomber as a titan unit which will send a bomber with a single conversion bomb to the targeted area? With the bomb converting an amount that is equal to half of the total payload from a normal anti-creeper bomber, meaning it removes the same amount of creeper while costing energy instead of ore.

Shrike30

I don't recall the mechanism of conversion bombs ever being explained.  Maybe they turn out to cause cancer?  Or the creeper has developed an immunity to them?

Chawe800

Quote from: Shrike30 on November 04, 2012, 04:14:02 AM
I don't recall the mechanism of conversion bombs ever being explained.  Maybe they turn out to cause cancer?  Or the creeper has developed an immunity to them?

It was Aliana's Super powerful weapon she was working on.

No one knows what role the Conversion bomb will play in CW3 if any role whatsoever

I also strongly appeal to the idea of a titan weapon that behaves like a conversion bomb.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

4xC

One thing to note is the fat that as there were experimentals in 2, it would seem almost too prudent to have them stay in 3. I prefer what we have in 3 already and what we are coming up with for it, but if logic came into play here, they would be required to stay around like it or not (I would not too much though).
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on November 04, 2012, 03:43:15 PM
One thing to note is the fat that as there were experimentals in 2, it would seem almost too prudent to have them stay in 3. I prefer what we have in 3 already and what we are coming up with for it, but if logic came into play here, they would be required to stay around like it or not (I would not too much though).
Pretty sure that's what titan-class corresponds to.

Ronini

It all depends on when cw3 is set and what happened in between (if it is set after cw2). I recall virgil mentioning there won't be humans. Whatever that was supposed to mean. I wouldn't rely on logic too much on this

Back to topic:
I wish for a button that displays the firing range of all weapons.

lurkily

Quote from: Ronini on November 07, 2012, 01:29:35 AM
It all depends on when cw3 is set and what happened in between (if it is set after cw2). I recall virgil mentioning there won't be humans. Whatever that was supposed to mean. I wouldn't rely on logic too much on this
"What are humans?" is a reference to Posthumanism or Transhumanism.  These are the ideas that given time humans will either, like any organism according to evolutionary theory, change as a whole, or will find technological or biological ways to change themselves until they are functionally a different species.

This was a reference to the possibility that the game may be so far ahead in the future that what we consider to be "us", the descendants of Earth, may nonetheless not be something that science would recognize as homo sapien.  Common concepts to us sci-fi geeks who've been raised on Aasimov's and Amazing since the 80's.

Grauniad

Back to topic:

Could you expand on this? What would it do? Would it show the range of all weapons on a map simultaneously - a-lathe range of SAMs in CW1?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

4xC

I think I get the point of that range deal, Grauniad. When I recently watched some "Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm" battle report clips, I noticed that at some instances, units sometimes had displayed ranges for how far their attacks could reach, but some of them had ranges that went beyond their sight range. I think that firing range displayed for the Starcraft units in those clips is what we are talking about here.

The question is: would the weapon's firing range be the same as the weapon's sight range. It wasn't for some long-range units in the Starcraft series. Some examples include the Terran siege tank in siege mode and the Protoss Tempest (new unit introduced in "Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm"). In time, I will edit this post to include the link to those battle report clips to show the range indication there that I think we are looking at here.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on November 07, 2012, 08:44:00 AM
I think I get the point of that range deal, Grauniad. When I recently watched some "Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm" battle report clips, I noticed that at some instances, units sometimes had displayed ranges for how far their attacks could reach, but some of them had ranges that went beyond their sight range. I think that firing range displayed for the Starcraft units in those clips is what we are talking about here.

The question is: would the weapon's firing range be the same as the weapon's sight range. It wasn't for some long-range units in the Starcraft series. Some examples include the Terran siege tank in siege mode and the Protoss Tempest (new unit introduced in "Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm"). In time, I will edit this post to include the link to those battle report clips to show the range indication there that I think we are looking at here.
I'm pretty sure he just wants a hotkey that shows all unit ranges so that full weapons coverage can be shown.  

We don't have sight ranges because there's no FOW.  Weapon's don't have a longer effective range than their firing range, either.  PC's detonate where the PC targets them, (as shown in videos when attacking digitalis or runners behind creeper, they target a point, rather than detonate on the first valid target met,) so they can only fire as far as they can target.  Ditto mortars.  Beams never miss and never overkill, so whether their firing range is less than their effective range is not even relevant.  Bertha's range is infinite.  Strafers and bombers always target a point directly aligned with unit at a set distance.

Ronini

Quote from: Grauniad on November 07, 2012, 06:51:07 AM

Back to topic:

Could you expand on this? What would it do? Would it show the range of all weapons on a map simultaneously - a-lathe range of SAMs in CW1?

Quote from: lurkily on November 07, 2012, 08:54:45 AM
I'm pretty sure he just wants a hotkey that shows all unit ranges so that full weapons coverage can be shown.

Bingo. I want to press a button and see the white circles around units that you usually only see when relocating them.

lurkily

That might result in an overlapping white illegible mess . . . . what about a hotkey to show the outline of the unit you mouse-over?  Or of all units of the type that you mouse-over? 

For instance, mouse-over a pulse-cannon while holding it, you see all pulse cannon ranges.