Suggestions for CW-next

Started by Grauniad, January 04, 2012, 04:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Warning: I will without warning or comment delete any post in this thread that does not comply with the requirements outlined below. This is intended to be a zero-noise thread.

I am looking for suggestions about the User Interface (UI) or ease-of-use suggestions that have been made for CW1 and/or CW2 but that were not implemented. I am NOT looking for any suggestions about new unit types, new unit functions, or new modes of play (co-operative, 3D, etc.). I am simply looking to make sure that if you have or (know of)  a suggestion that will make the game easier to play/use or will provide more information while playing the game, then please post it here.

The format for each and every post in this forums should simply be  a one-line statement of what the improvement is and optionally a link to another thread somewhere in the forums where this has been discussed.

If you notice a duplication, you may quote that post and mention what it duplicates.

As I consolidate these suggestions, I will post them here, attribute then if apropriate and delete the post that suggested it.

If this does not work out, I will delete this entire thread.

Suggestions:

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

SmileyCoder

Option to display Frames per second. Usefull for when you might want to tweak the game for more performance, when you are having a slow game.

Option to display percentage of time usage for each frame calculation. Its 3 frames per second in CW2, so that gives each frame 0.33 seconds to calculate. If it could be possible to display how big a percentage of that time was actually used to calculate the next frame, it could be usefull for map makers to better tune their maps for less lag.

Option to speed up more For those sluggish maps where you have 20 launchers banging away at super dense creeper, it would be nice if possible, to increase speed even more then now.

Consecutive Quick Saves Per Map This has been mentioned somewhere in the forums, that instead of quick save overwriting the last save, simply add to the list of saves. Fancy for clumsy people like me who hit Ctrl-C by accident when trying to load.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

CobraKill

I'm not 100% sure it's not in CW2 but in CW you could view an ingame graph.

Also view the description and scores ingame for custo maps. And maybe a small thing that shows YOUR high score on maps (ie story)
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

weekendgamer

I think that the icons for the units/structures in the bottom menu should be on one "tab" so you wouldn't have
to change in between the three tabs that we currently have.

Quote from: SmileyCoder on January 04, 2012, 05:15:28 PM
Option to display Frames per second. Usefull for when you might want to tweak the game for more performance, when you are having a slow game.

As far as I know, you can use the "=" button to do that.
Sorry for the late replies.

SmileyCoder

Drag-and-Select The ability to drag/draw a rectangle over an area and select units within that area would be nice.
TheSmileyCoder

Cavemaniac

'Paint-on' units. i.e. Click 'n' drag to build multiple units, the same way you excavate soil.

In-Game Graph. accessible at any time in CW1, only displayed at the end of CW2 - useful to check if you're actually making progress.

Keyboard Controls for everything. I play with the keyboard - it's quicker. Not having maker functions etc available on a keyboard shortcut is a pain.

Ability to select multiple units under construction. Sometimes you over extend yourself and you need to cease construction and it's time consuming to select each one individually, turn it off, then go around and turn them all back on again. The double click doesn't include weapons under construction, though the previously suggested drag-a-bounding-box-around-them may be the solution.

Ability to select multiple non weapon units. Similar to above, sometimes you want to save power by shutting down non essential power draining units (thinking of tech domes here).

Auto-Save Optional automatic save of your game every 30-60 seconds of game time. Big list of game saves, arranged chronologically, not restricted to the current slots, perhaps going back weeks - though you'd only need the top couple of dozen.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

SmileyCoder

Upon death, give option to load quicksave After I die I can "just" press OK. It would be nice with an option to either select "OK", or "Load Game".
TheSmileyCoder

J

Delay next shot Decreses the firing speed of a blaster or launcher by 10 frames. (just for one shot, other solution for full spread targeting, but doesn't have full effect)

thepenguin

Notify of editor version on upload
We have become the creeper...

CJY101

Perhaps my suggestion is not good..

Q=Deactive
A=Disarm
C=Disconnect

Why not use the 'Z', Instead uses 'C' ?
so that the three keys together, this is not good?
Maybe I am very clumsy.
Every time playing games, often occurs,
Pressed the wrong keystroke and destroy my all weapons.  :'( :'(
This is very upset.

---------------
The corresponding number key.
---------------
Blaster
1 = Fire at Drones then Creeper
2 = Fire at Creeper then Drones
3 = Fire at Drones only
4 = Fire at Creeper only
---------------
Maker
Q=Produce      1 = 1x   
A=Charge        2 = 2x
Z=Vacuum       3 = 4x
                     4 = Burst 10%
                     5 = Burst All
---------------
Repulsor
1 = short
2 = medium
3 = Long

Intuitive way, the corresponding direction.
(Right side keyboard.)
7 8 9    ↖↑↗         Q W E
4    6 = ←  → (=or) A     D
1 2 3    ↙↓↘         Z  X C
( If the translation is not good, don't care, please ) ; My custom maps: 101 mission

J

Addiction to CJY101

W=Produce
S=Charge
X=Vacuum
for makers instead of:
Q=Produce
A=Charge
Z=Vacuum

For repulsors I would better like

WER
S  F
XCV

To keep QAZ for (De)activate, (Dis)arm and (Dis)connect

SmileyCoder

Bigger charecter/tile library in the editor. I really can't draw anything. It would be nice if there was a wider selection of charecters and tiles available from the editor.

Event driven actionI think the custom levels could be expanded alot more if it was possible to tie up certain actions to events. Example could be that taking a crystal starts an emitter/gateway/field.

TheSmileyCoder

Funkychicken121

Packet distribution. You would not believe how many times I've wanted to prioritize where energy goes to.
-Insert Signature Here-

Grauniad

I've moved a bunch of stuff out of here that in my opinion did not meet the requirement for ease of use or user interface.

Find them here]http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=9382.0]here.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

SmileyCoder

Rate on Difficulty/Fun factor Instead of the current thumps up/down system, give the player, after playing a map, the option to rate the difficulty and fun factor of the map, both on a scale of 1-5. I find the current thumps up/down system a bit to simplified. Many hard maps get downrated simply because they are hard for the casual player, whereas I know there are also people out there who wants to play the hard maps.
TheSmileyCoder