a map series of mine

Started by tornado, April 28, 2014, 02:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tornado

i am curnetly planing to make a map series
the only isue is i don't know what the people want
i would like some ideas to be posted here so i have a vauge idea of where to start
i will probably be using planetfall's cprl code and may eventuly write my own
untill then i want some sugestions to work from

till the next time
-tornado
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

Jamz

Personally speaking...

1) I like to see a bit of good CRPL. It shouldn't be too many new things in one map though. Something new and unseen (or perhaps something which has been seen but not often enough.)
2) I dont like maps which are just a big long slog against a massive tide of creeper. The result when this is done is usually a map which is more tedious and time-consuming rather than it being a map which is harder or more challenging.
3) If it's going to be a series of maps as you're suggesting, then a nice well thought out storyline does wonders and gives me good reason to highly anticipate the next map.

I may add to this list of mine if I remember anything else about what makes me like a map or not.

tornado

Nice suggestions
Regretfully I have no capability to code cprl so something new may be hard
As for story I can work with whatever whoever throws at me

Either way thank you

Till the next time
-tornado
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.

Karsten75

Tornado, don't make maps based on other people's requests, Make a map *you* like. that way you can be sure at least one person will like your map.  :)

tornado

While I do aprecatite it knowing me it'll be a "99999999999999999 thors and an inhibitor so go get em"
It's not that I like those it's that I really DONT KNOW how to make anything else
Hence pulling in the ideas of the public seeing as said public contains some map makers who might give me an idea of what to do in the first place

That and I'd rather make something that most people will enjoy rather than a a map where you win in -10 seconds

Till the next time
-tornado

Edit:I've got this odd feeling that this long speech sounds somewhat not bright but to be honest I'm not going to change it

teknotiss

Quote from: tornado on April 28, 2014, 06:09:02 PM
While I do aprecatite it knowing me it'll be a "99999999999999999 thors and an inhibitor so go get em"
It's not that I like those it's that I really DONT KNOW how to make anything else
Hence pulling in the ideas of the public seeing as said public contains some map makers who might give me an idea of what to do in the first place

That and I'd rather make something that most people will enjoy rather than a a map where you win in -10 seconds

Till the next time
-tornado

Edit:I've got this odd feeling that this long speech sounds somewhat not bright but to be honest I'm not going to change it

i agree with K (this doesn't happen a lot! :D) you should make maps you enjoy, but if you don't really know how to define that then why not lift some ideas from other maps? which other mappers ideas do you like to play the most? long and grinding, or short and fast, with or without CRPL?
and feel free to borrow CRPL from others too, of course it's nice if you give credit where due too!
personally i like maps that can be approached in a number of ways, and i don't like much CRPL, one or two good scripts are much preferable to lots of messy scripts. also i cannot stand random factors (moving CRPL cores etc) in the maps i play, so if a map has random elements in it i tend to just give it a swerve, hope that helps, later dude  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

tornado

if it helps/i fdint make it clear the only maps i CAN play are the 999999999 thors ones

im just that bad at the game