CW3 Crashes With USB DAC

Started by jaisonx12, January 17, 2023, 12:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaisonx12

I am having an issue running the game when I have my USB DAC plugged in. The game crashes immediately when it is plugged in. Also if I launch the game with it unplugged and then plug it in, it crashes immediately as well. I know it is a minor gripe and can deal with the issue but any help would be greatly appreciated.

The USB Device is a Fiio BTR5.

I have attached the log files.

Karsten75

I am sorry the game crashes for you. Fortunately you have figured out what cause it and you have a way to circumvent it. 

As for a fix, I'm afraid we have nothing to offer. In addition the game is quite old and the Unity environment it was developed in is long past its support date. As such it's not possible to even consider an attempt at further investigation for a software fix. 

At best I can offer that you investigate whether there are driver or software updates for the DAC.

jaisonx12

Thank you for the update. It is unfortunate but it is what it is.

jaisonx12

UPDATE: It looks like the game doesn't support higher bit-rate audio. Anyone else having issues with audio crashing the game may want to check the sound settings.

Game works fine when using 16 bit, 44100 Hz sample rate
Game crashes when using 32 bit, 384000 Hz sample rate

I haven't tested any of the other rates, but this looks to be the root cause of the problem.

Karsten75

Quote from: jaisonx12 on January 18, 2023, 12:05:24 PMUPDATE: It looks like the game doesn't support higher bit-rate audio. Anyone else having issues with audio crashing the game may want to check the sound settings.

Game works fine when using 16 bit, 44100 Hz sample rate
Game crashes when using 32 bit, 384000 Hz sample rate

I haven't tested any of the other rates, but this looks to be the root cause of the problem.
Good to know. As I said earlier, there's not much we can do in terms of all the current games, they're "done", so to speak, but I'll at least mention it to the dev in the event he wants to either support it, or specify it on the game requirements page. 

Thanks for all the investigative work. :)