WithersChat

There is no signature!

reddwarf12

Ah, hahaha ... we have a very different idea of "tutorial"!   :D

Vertu

Quote from: reddwarf12 on October 23, 2021, 03:37:46 AM
Ah, hahaha ... we have a very different idea of "tutorial"!   :D
Wait what??
I have a controlled environment for you to mess with the VAUs in.
I gave accurate details on some of the more complex parts of the VAUs.
I don't know how to make it interactive. Just sounds like a pain of making roll play sequences.
So please tell. lol
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

reddwarf12

So, I'm just a mid-level player, not advanced. But I think of a tutorial as having a safe space, and being given some idea of what to do. This tutorial gives pages of explanation in the ADA which I sort of understand, I think (some of it), but either way, I have no idea what to do. The level is unfamiliar terrain, tight spaces, and contains a Wall of Creeper that overwhelms my Hold bases in seven minutes. No time to play with things to see what's going on.

I'm not complaining - I see that others are understanding things just fine. I'll probably come back and play with it some more.

By the way, the terrain looks very cool. Sort of like Tron.

Vertu

The hold objective was meant to be optional for those who wanted to put effort into keeping them via Porters.
A little challenge for those who want to take it on.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

DavvaKron

I must have to agree that this is not what I would call a tutorial. A nice map, but I did not understand a thing, felt like I had zero chance of survival and sadly didn't enjoy it because of that. Some reason for why I felt like that:

1. I'm supposed to learn about something called a VAU, but in the long text in the A.D.A there's not a single word about what a VAU is, what it's used for, requirements, or anything.
2. You instead speak of a "Summoner" to which all you said was "Provide it with enough Liftic to summon a VAU.
3. When I used the summoner, I found a bunch of things to summon, all of which were completely unknown to me. "R-Fighter"? Is that short for "Race-fighter" "Ruling fighter"? I had to try something at random, not finding a VAU as promised.
4. I chose one of them and after a while, a ship appeared. I flew it towards the creep, but it did literally nothing.
5. Then a giant wave began coming towards me, from ground where I couldn't build anything, leaving me confused on how I am supposed to win.
6. Millions of questions, and not one answer led me to quit the map.

It seems like it could be a great map, but even your tutorials are more difficult and complex than any other map I have ever played.

Vertu

I will like to mention it may be impossible for there to be enough Creeper on the map at any time to overflow onto your area. Sounds like it does.
The VAUs are a CPack. Everything there was about the CPack. Summoner -> VAUs so Summoner was first.

I tried making it clear that a lot of information is in the units. The Summoner has a description tab, the intro text mentioned this and I tried formatting it in short pieces (which I personally believe I was successful in) so really it was you not reading what was there. I tried formatting it using images too and even included an image showing the descriptions button on the Summoner.

When a VAU spawns in as the Summoner says in it's UI description "Most VAUs spawn DISARMED!" or something like that.
The text of Armed: Off was why it was doing nothing.

The map is created so you can't easily complete it without VAUs but you have a buffer (in front of the hold objectives) then a protective wall at your base to hopefully get you to hold off for safety AND two heavy Blaster turrets for auto-defense.
As an insufferable, arguably masochistic, insane gamer who loves being punched by difficulty. It is very hard for me to create something "easy" because things are easily easy. However, I REALLY tried making this easy and think I did that well and wasn't even sure it was POSSIBLE for Creeper to reach your base by flowing.
I tried! Ok?

All the information you need is there, you just need to look at it and explore for yourself. I can't hold your hand like a child. I also lack the patients to create a fully scripted sequence tutorial as doing such things is rather annoying considering they are one time use.
Man.. When I was in my tone saying things like "I want to make this CLEAR" and "Just to be even more clear", it was very justified in advance.

DavvaKron

I'm beginning to understand now, I think. The unit/item/ VAU that I was looking for isn't a unit. It's a group of units. What I'm supposed to learn about are the ships (I think). Well, now I know what to focus on, and I know what mistakes I made.

1. Since I knew creeper was on its way, I paused the game, which stopped the summoner's description from popping up. Because of that I was never told that the ships were called VAUs. I thought perhaps one of them was a VAU, or that I had to do something to unlock it. I was looking for a specific ship/unit that the summoner could make named "VAU".

2. Since I was looking for the VAU I didn't spend much time on understand the fighter, therefore not noticing the small "ARMED: OFF" in the corner, thinking that "units spawning disarmed" meant I had to add a weapon or attack to them, or something.

Now that I tried again, knowing I had several minutes to check things, I didn't pause the game, which made the summoner show the information. Guess I changed it back to "description of: N/A" when nothing happened last time. Now I get it, and it works great. I just had to know it was the ships I was looking for. Imagine trying to search for a "Florper", when you have no idea what it is. What is it? How do you know if you've found it? etc. That was my problem.

As soon as that info popped up in the summoner, it was all clear.
Thanks for replying!