Custom Map #1830: Containment Failure (PAC). By: Ranger Von Danger

Started by AutoPost, June 29, 2021, 12:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1830: Containment Failure (PAC)

Author: Ranger Von Danger
Size: 192x120

Shatterstep

I appreciate being able to see the crazonium walls.

Brutal, but fun map. I had 25+ save points. That has to be a new record for me. I had to do a lot of backtracking.

Thanks for making :)

helmetflakes

Good challenging map thanks, tough to break out of the starting are and tough to get past the airship into the final rift lab area. Glad the airship also fires at lures!

Ranger Von Danger

Quote from: Shatterstep on June 29, 2021, 02:24:44 AM
I appreciate being able to see the crazonium walls.

Brutal, but fun map. I had 25+ save points. That has to be a new record for me. I had to do a lot of backtracking.

Thanks for making :)

1. I remembered your feedback on not being able to see them ;)

2. Was going to say that's an achievement for me, since you typically beat my maps in sub 10 minutes. But a closer inspection revealed that this map was no different as far as time goes lmao

Shatterstep

Quote from: Ranger Von Danger on June 29, 2021, 02:32:51 PM
2. Was going to say that's an achievement for me, since you typically beat my maps in sub 10 minutes. But a closer inspection revealed that this map was no different as far as time goes lmao

SAVE POINTS

Was seriously more difficult. I'm surprised it didn't take me 4 times longer. I save at each minor point while playing. Since I save often, I can take big risks or backtrack if it isn't working out. Usually I'll go to a previous save once, if at all. This map was insane. Note, I don't normally enjoy playing where I have to reload a lot. I didn't mind so much on this map, but it would be very tiresome if I had to do it all the time.

Normally I don't use mortar lures, but on this map I used 2! Also required quite a bit more juggling of units. Remember, folks, you can use the <N> key to frame advance so you can quickly switch between units without having all your creeper blown away between swapping.

TOP-CENTER (past shattered land wall)

I had 3 false starts where I just wasn't making progress quick enough. I overwrote the numbers of my saves. So even though 'Save 4' (attached screenshot) that was likely #11 or something.

The combo of an ERN in a cannon and mortar near each other, plus the other defenses, plus the limited creeper, plus resource being underneath so I couldn't place mesh was challenging and I almost gave up on that part. I ended up using a mortar lure and using the frame advance to temporarily swap out an emitter for the crimsonator a few times. Had to use the frame advance to move units forward as well, otherwise all the creeper got blown away and I couldn't put anything down. It was a struggle.

The starting emitters were on creeper breeder so I couldn't place mesh under them. It would have been a big help moving past the caldera wall because the creeper would have redistributed much faster. Alas, no mesh for me.

BOTTOM-LEFT

After the airship and AC breeder was also incredibly challenging. With so many defenses both near and far, and so little space to put units down it was a struggle. Eventually got it though, but again, had to reload saves a few times.

SteveCarlo

interesting map, I liked it
first time through I managed to breakout of the blue tongue sorta quickly but figuring out  how to break into the  east side was a slog

second time I used a combo of skimmers and blogs to get the ERNed cannon to the SE of the tongue.  then i got cocky and tried to break directly into the east side.  I managed to knock out the shields but couldn't take the factory.  too much AC. and I only had 5 ERNs  it kicked me out

3rd time I just took the ERNed cannon an went politely back north

in addition to the ERNed cannon, I was able to take 2 of the 3 ERNed miners MW of the tongue top.   I couldn't get all three. but that gave me 9(?) ERNs to break through the shields

westyx

I was able to break out of my initial spot and then clear all the map except for the final corner, at which point I gave up.

The blimb and cannons I could deal with, or the large amounts of anticreeper being generated, but not all three.

I can see some possible solutions here (and other posters have bludgeoned and crawled their way to the top), but that's not for me.

Freed

I just took out the ern-cannon in the south, than the two anti-air in the north, got the ern-mortar, than the ern-cannon, after that I killed the ern-mortar in the north west (the one at the hill) + the other mortar (don´t forget to let one spore at each anti-air in the north). Now just fire all remaining spores north-west and start with one emitter there. switch from launcher to emitter (but leave the two launcher for the two anti-air in the north for now) + one field generator and fill the north from west to east (to speed things up, you can use some launcher to kill the 3 rifts close to the wall). After that it's pretty easy (go from north-east down to start the breeding with a mix of blobs and skimmers - they can blob even under the shields and start the breeding). as soon as it starts, you should switch back to emitters and place them on the anticreep-breeder (+one field generator to push the anticreep away from its breeding-point). It will activate the anticreep-breeder in the west anyway-but that´s no problem (one field-generator + 4 emitters will push it back - with the help from a few skimmers to kill the cannons+mortars + mesh). Of cause you should be able to get into the fabric at this point without any problems. After that, you could pick the three ern-miners (the ship dont reach that far with its anti-air and the spores do damage even through the anticreep). At this point you shouldn't need any more help :D

CirJohn

This map is pretty easy if you focus on emitter/field-generator combos. The trick is to ignore the lower area and move immediately eastward.

I used crimsonators to assist the pushes at 1, 3, 6, and 7.
Lures were needed to push down 4 and across 7.
I used mesh across 6 and 7, removing some of the mesh when it was no longer needed.

I started the push down 5 with a single emitter before I finished pushing down 4. I added a field generator to 5 after I collected the first ERN.

Untitled.png
Capture.JPG