IDEA: Creeper Clusters

Started by TDplay, June 04, 2018, 12:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDplay

My idea is that sometimes a creeper node will create a "Cluster" - essentially a giant blob of Creeper that clumps into a ball and can move. This "Cluster" would hang around deep Creeper, and suck it into itself, making it bigger. Once it reaches a large size, it would roll toward your command node, dropping off Creeper at a rate that increases as it gets in less Creeper. It cannot cross a void, so it will path around them. If it reaches your command node, it explodes and there is a giant blob of Creeper (think Airsack creeper balls but a LOT worse) as well as a bunch of smaller creeper balls that roll outward and cover all your infrastructure in creeper too, thus destroying your supply lines and overwhelming your defense. All of this added together will serve to make your position indefensible so you would have to take measures against them.

To take out a Cluster, you'd need missiles. It would take about 2 missiles to destroy it entirely. Each missile would explode it into about 5 smaller creep blobs, which bounce into the air if they touch AC (and they take a bit of damage), and when they're airborne a sniper can shoot them.

The Clusters would spawn fairly far into a game, ~10 mins on an average map, leaving the player plenty of time to set up the infrastructure to defend. And in intervals of ~1-2 mins to give the player time to gather more Arg and AC.

Thoughts?

creeper destroyer

cool idea. I'm kinda conjuring up an image of blue greivers from The maze runner rolling around in one of the dev's CW4 pre-release videos, pouring out creeper and splitting into many more. :P seems kinda OP if its early game but mid game if used smartly it would probably be pretty cool.
CW4 is gonna work like trash on my computer.

TDplay

Yeah, the only issue is if a map dev thinks "oh let's place 94812948129489124902189402890428190481928349218390 Cluster Spawners" and makes a horrible level then wonders why the clusters are so hard to deal with and comes and whines here...

Kinda like them maps with 290124890128490218490812904892014890124890 spore towers...