Any thoughts on digitalis in cw4?

Started by A human, April 02, 2018, 03:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A human

It would have to be changed due to 3d, any thoughts on how that would work? I think it'd just spread along surfaces and grow up walls, carrying creeper with it. If it were differently colored than both the ground and the creeper it'd be easily visible even if there is enough creeper above it to guarantee your doom.(since the creeper is semi-transparent)

Also, any thoughts on runners? they'd likely be less common (if implemented, due to there being more alternatives) and behavior might change to fit better with 3d/different digitalis/ other factors

herobattle530

It would have to be raised above the surface slightly so you can see it, if looking from certain angles. I guess the behavior can stay the same. Definitely would need to stand out in creeper somehow. If you watched the videos,you would have seen how the creeper covers almost everything once it gets going. Since it's 3d now, the creeper can go a lot higher than just a flat surface (2D). Maybe it can be made to go up and down by itself? Such as making a W in the air across the void or between elevated terrain. (See really bad picture below.) But   if you destroy it while it's in the air, you have to make sure to have defenses, as the creeper will fall to the ground and spread out in you base or forward post or something.

A human

I like the growing between high places, but the growing above the surface thing seems kinda odd...
does it move when the creeper has waves in it?

Nuhages

Would'nt that change digitalis nature?
Digitalis is a ground/void spreaders (accelerators) for creeper.

What I'd like to have as map builder is diferent types of runner :
The "Spreader runner" = this unit would explode if it hits the end of this digitalis path and create a digitalis area upon explosion. (your nighmare)
The" EMP runner" = this unit would disable any unit in it's range.(classic)
The "Charged runner"= charged with creeper of course.
I made a dream ... was map making on CW4

herobattle530

It was just an idea that was thrown out there. The moving up and down like crazy was a little overboard. How about making it go up and down but only at 90° angles? It can go over void. Maybe have it be able to poke out over terrain? Say there's a giant wall, the digitalis can poke over it by about a block and have creeper drip off of it.

Another thing to consider: https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=28698.msg171193#msg171193
Virgil intends to have terrain modification. How would that affect digitalis if you can make the terrain go up or down? I suppose you could just have the digitalis snake over the block. Example: You have 3 blocks in a row covered by digitalis, all the same height, which is 1. You raise the middle one to 10. The digitalis expands to connect the height 1 blocks to the height 10 block. Though that sounds a little far-fetched and raises questions such as "Where did the extra digitalis come from?"
That's the best I've got for now.

A human

Doesn't having creeper on something prevent terraforming?
Does/should the digitalis do the same?

herobattle530

Quote from: A human on April 04, 2018, 02:30:24 PM
Doesn't having creeper on something prevent terraforming?
Does/should the digitalis do the same?
Yes, the part about the creeper is true. However, in CW3 there are the white digitalis lines that show where it's going to grow. (see pictures). CW3 is on a 2d plane ,so nobody really thinks about it in terms of 3d other than the height of the terrain/line of sight. In the pictures, I went in the editor and showed an example. I made digitalis on all level 1 terrain. I then changed it to level 10. Where did the extra digitalis come from to be able to climb up the level 10 terrain and then back down again when there was only enough to be on level 1 terrain? There is no depth perception to digitalis when it's 2d and that's fine. But with the shift to a 3-dimensional perspective, it just doesn't work. 

bluebolt

IIRC, CW3 states that runners were created by the Ticon, who came after the Seloi(Where this game takes place). This means that Digi doesn't exist pre-Ticon, which includes the Seloi era. that doesn't mean that they are gone, since blobs and the other secondary enemies have taken the role of the runners, although we don't have one that stuns. V additionally is currently experimenting with new creep modifiers, and he posted some of that -which might take the place of Digi- in the KC discord.
Even YOU may survive an apocalypse! Fight back against the creeper today!

A human

I don't think we have a confirmation on where it will be in the timeline, also, new enemies aren't necessarily "replacing" runners, since there are mechanics unique to each. I'm interested in the creep modifiers, (what do they do?) but digitalis isn't just a runner-carrier or a creep modifier, but its own thing, I hope to see it work in concert with new features