I want to talk about the energy panes (again)

Started by Sorrontis, October 21, 2017, 10:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetfall

Quote from: Ninja on October 23, 2017, 02:57:24 PM
Quote from: planetfall on October 23, 2017, 02:48:04 PM
Here's a random thought: flood-fill collectors. Considerably bigger and more expensive than either a collector or reactor in any prior game, and/or or the cost goes up with each new one built.
But how would they work?
Flood-fill? As in paint bucket tool? Puts your standard green collector field on an entire contiguous section of ground.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Ninja

Quote from: planetfall on October 23, 2017, 03:10:33 PM
Quote from: Ninja on October 23, 2017, 02:57:24 PM
Quote from: planetfall on October 23, 2017, 02:48:04 PM
Here's a random thought: flood-fill collectors. Considerably bigger and more expensive than either a collector or reactor in any prior game, and/or or the cost goes up with each new one built.
But how would they work?
Flood-fill? As in paint bucket tool? Puts your standard green collector field on an entire contiguous section of ground.
Ahh, makes sense. Thought you meant some other type of unit entirely- like a collector that emits the green stuff like creeper or something.

knucracker

I've thought a lot about that very thing.  It has some nice and bad aspects (like everything).  This week I plan to try something similar (sort of a hybrid idea) and I'll see how it works out.  You never know about these things till you try them.

stdout

I keep going back in my mind to this idea of an energy producing module that converts actual creeper into energy. It has to be placed near a pool of creeper, and perhaps has a big hose that extends down the hill into a deep pool. It draws up creeper and produces energy. Can be upgraded to pull/process even more and faster.

It is always a risk to use because the creeper is near. But the player then would want to strategically allow pools of creeper to remain so that he can produce energy from it. Eventually the creeper needs to be cleared away and then the unit no longer functions.

Just an idea.

Ninja

Quote from: stdout on October 25, 2017, 06:08:16 PM
I keep going back in my mind to this idea of an energy producing module that converts actual creeper into energy. It has to be placed near a pool of creeper, and perhaps has a big hose that extends down the hill into a deep pool. It draws up creeper and produces energy. Can be upgraded to pull/process even more and faster.

It is always a risk to use because the creeper is near. But the player then would want to strategically allow pools of creeper to remain so that he can produce energy from it. Eventually the creeper needs to be cleared away and then the unit no longer functions.

Just an idea.
I like this. It would probably need to actually drain some of the creeper in order to not be overpowered— a small enough amount that it can't be used offensively, but a large enough amount that it won't work forever.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Ninja on October 26, 2017, 02:38:28 PM
Spoiler

Just an idea.
[close]
I like this. It would probably need to actually drain some of the creeper in order to not be overpowered— a small enough amount that it can't be used offensively, but a large enough amount that it won't work forever.

It doesn't need to do that, IMO. It can check the total amount of creeper in its range and divide it from the maximum amount of creeper possible in the same area.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

Just make it hard to move or scale the effect of - eventually, we get to the point where we are avoiding capping an Emitter to keep the Creeper flow up.

This does sound more like a script unit. Recall the "Hoover Dam" map in CS?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Qwerty Quazo

...an energy producing module that converts actual creeper into energy...

How about actual anticreeper into energy?

I find the idea of clearing creeper pools AND get energy out of it broken.
The brain is complicated. Use it or lose it.

cpaca

Even better, a module attachable to emitters which decreases AC output when energy defecit
To use [OUR] Custom Modules, go to Forums/Knuckle Cracker/PFE/Map Makers, Ship Builders, and Coders, Go to the pinned posts, find the one named "Custom Modules Thread", Open it, Scroll down until you find ShipModule, Apply that into your map, do not apply it into map if one copy already exists, Apply the Adder script (Sometimes named "Master.prpl, sometimes [shipname]Adder, etc.) and the actual used scripts [which i will state in my posts]. If one copy already exists, do not apply another copy. -The CMC :-)