[CW4, obviously] New nullifiers, PZ?

Started by jaworeq, October 20, 2017, 04:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaworeq

Hi there, from the dark side. I come bearing cookies..I mean questions, to Virgil, as per usual :P

First things first - maybe it's time to create pre-release chatter forum for cw4 ;)

I wanted to write that I like the idea of nullifiers requiring sustenance, but then it got to me, that 1 bad spore, or just wave (since we have those now) can just snowball into getting back to square one.
In today's video, you used very thin line of supplies sent to the bottom-left emitter, and you just actually wanted to continue on this path to subsequent emitters - attack them from the left. So let's say that all 3 emitters on the left are capped and now we're getting a spore, a wave, or simply a malicious piece of CRPL designed to torment a player(hi planetfall! :)). You lose one tower, all nullifiers get starved, emitters start pumping, everything on that left side dies (or you have to evacuate). You've gained no ground, you have to start turret creeping all over again.

Sure, in cw3 a spore could also set you back significantly, but a dead emitter would not get back to life, so you had that at least.

On the good side for this type of nullifier, you prevent sniping emitters with AoO. What about inhibitor, though? If there's inhibitor, that has to capped and gives insta-win you could still snipe it.

Another matter, slightly related to the previous one - what's the current plan for PZ? Will there be none, will they be next to emitters (so close, that you have to have it capped), or maybe you're intending some super-nullifier, that requires massive amount of energy, but can actually kill an emitter? ...that last option seems stupid, it would just make 2 levels of nullifying required.

Anyway, don't get me wrong. I don't want "CW3-Part 2". Iterating and innovating is good. Just trying to look at all the angles.

Karsten75

Quote from: jaworeq on October 20, 2017, 04:08:33 PM
Hi there, from the dark side. I come bearing cookies..I mean questions, to Virgil, as per usual :P
Well, Virgil is out of pocket, so you'll have to amke do with me. :)

First things first - maybe it's time to create pre-release chatter forum for cw4 ;)

Done. you get to say "First!"  - :)

I wanted to write that I like the idea of nullifiers requiring sustenance, but then it got to me, that 1 bad spore, or just wave (since we have those now) can just snowball into getting back to square one.
In today's video, you used very thin line of supplies sent to the bottom-left emitter, and you just actually wanted to continue on this path to subsequent emitters - attack them from the left. So let's say that all 3 emitters on the left are capped and now we're getting a spore, a wave, or simply a malicious piece of CRPL designed to torment a player(hi planetfall! :)). You lose one tower, all nullifiers get starved, emitters start pumping, everything on that left side dies (or you have to evacuate). You've gained no ground, you have to start turret creeping all over again.

Sure, in cw3 a spore could also set you back significantly, but a dead emitter would not get back to life, so you had that at least.

On the good side for this type of nullifier, you prevent sniping emitters with AoO. What about inhibitor, though? If there's inhibitor, that has to capped and gives insta-win you could still snipe it.

Another matter, slightly related to the previous one - what's the current plan for PZ? Will there be none, will they be next to emitters (so close, that you have to have it capped), or maybe you're intending some super-nullifier, that requires massive amount of energy, but can actually kill an emitter? ...that last option seems stupid, it would just make 2 levels of nullifying required.

Anyway, don't get me wrong. I don't want "CW3-Part 2". Iterating and innovating is good. Just trying to look at all the angles.

In all of the rest I've just seen one question and that's regarding PZs. Virgil hasn't decided yet. As you observed, this isn't exactly CW3 version 2, so a lot of things are still to be decided and finalized. it's still early days.

harrymcb

my opinion on PZ's is that they aren't needed. they where cool but i kinda like the capping function more.

Sorrontis

I'm on the fence, until we see more. Mostly because, PZs can be set by the map maker to have special effects :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

pawel345

I feel like maybe it could be joined together if the nullifies stay this way. A nullifyier that is actively capping an emitter can give a boost to  a different structure.

jaworeq

Quote from: pawel345 on October 23, 2017, 06:24:16 AM
I feel like maybe it could be joined together if the nullifies stay this way. A nullifyier that is actively capping an emitter can give a boost to  a different structure.
That's interesting. It could be turned to somehow tapping into emitter's energy. Might fit the story as some kind of new research.

Ninja

Quote from: Sorrontis on October 22, 2017, 03:39:48 PM
I'm on the fence, until we see more. Mostly because, PZs can be set by the map maker to have special effects :)
But what if the map maker could set whether the emitters can be destroyed or not? Perhaps the creeper has evolved, but only partially, so that some planets have emitters that can still be nullified but some have emitters that can't?

Tojot

OK, this is a good one. What if the nullifier tech rediscovered in the future is incomplete. It cannot destroy the emitters, but is good enough to cut them off from their power source.

Karsten75

Quote from: Tojot on November 06, 2017, 06:36:40 PM
OK, this is a good one. What if the nullifier tech rediscovered in the future is incomplete. It cannot destroy the emitters, but is good enough to cut them off from their power source.

^^^  Fits with lore