[Suggestion] ShipEnergyCap fix and/or ShipEnergyMaxOverride

Started by GoodMorning, December 08, 2016, 09:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

Currently this can be set to something other than -1 only in order to cause a smaller energy stock. The ship will also constantly request energy if the cap is under the ship storage max.

Could this change to (at the least) stop the infinite request cycle?

Could we have a command to override the energy max? That was what I thought ShipEnergyCap would do, and it looked useful. (i.e. set to 500 to give the ship the ability to hold as much as a tank, 100 for two tanks, 1050 for two tanks+1 bridge equivalent.)
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

planetfall

I think the behavior should be:

- SetShipEnergyCap determines how many packets to request. Ships request packets whenever (energy + packets enroute) < energy cap. Scripts can still set ship energy above the energy cap but below max energy, and the ship won't request packets until it drops below the energy cap again.
- add a GetShipPacketsEnroute command, so that (for instance) a custom ship powering itself with a finite resource won't overfill and waste the incoming packets.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

GoodMorning

Agreed, with SetShipEnergyMaxOverride available to increase the storage ceiling in case of custom tank modules (for example).

planetfall

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 08, 2016, 09:51:39 PM
Agreed, with SetShipEnergyMaxOverride available to increase the storage ceiling in case of custom tank modules (for example).

I suggest instead SetShipEnergyMaxBonus, which is added to the default energy max. Unless we can get module IDs (itself a huge can of worms), a ship with mixed default/custom tanks would retain its higher energy capacity even if the default tank is destroyed.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

GoodMorning

So...

ShipEnergyCeiling
ShipEnergyCeilingOverride
ModuleEnergyBonus
ShipEnergyRequestCeiling

...or some such.