[Suggestion] Make it easier to rate maps

Started by ljw1004, November 01, 2016, 01:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

I dislike this instinctively, on the basis that someone who has just begun should have the same power to rate as someone who has played for a long time.

My preferred solution: Give a rating option as for CW3, let difficulty be rated as distinct from quality, let the law of averages sort it out, which is the theory with ratings already. Seed the quality rating history with three 5s and three 6s to smooth the average for a recent release.

But no system is perfect, and even if it were, it would not look to be.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

chwooly

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on November 13, 2016, 10:09:17 PM
I still think it would be beneficial to have some kind of "player rating" as well. Like, if a player is able to beat most maps give them a higher score.  Then you could make minimum requirements for someone being able to rate maps... like, "Must have completed 400 maps and have a 7.5+ rating to rate this map". And maybe the mapmakers could even be allowed to set the level of player who could rate the maps.

Otherwise the Food Network might as well hire my 3-year old as a critic and when people don't cook Mac & Cheese she can give them two thumbs down. Or whatever kind of ratings they do on that network.

I just think it would be great if a mapmaker could prevent... (shall we just say "unskilled people?") from rating their maps. Notice I did NOT use the word that would follow this sequence:
Less off... Less on...
More off... More ___.  ;)

There is a lot of value in this suggestion, Just needs to be worked out, Children do ratings and sometimes they are better then the adult ratings.

The idea I have probably can't be implemented here however in future games it might be possible .

The idea being that there are a few test maps that are set to different levels. The players then would have to play those maps to get rated. The cartographers would then have to pick the level they believe you should be at to play their map, only those players that are at that level or above would be able to rate that map. Anyone would still be able to play any map, only ratings would be effected. And the player would know before hand that the map is 1 or 3 levels above or below their tested level. Part of the ratings would be suggested level and if enough players up or down voted a map it would move up or down based on that rating. That way those cartographers can then cater to the audience they like by how hard or easy they make a map.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Johnny Haywire

QuoteMy preferred solution: Give a rating option as for CW3, let difficulty be rated as distinct from quality

I really like this idea - some maps are fairly easy but very enjoyable. Some maps are difficult AND enjoyable, and some maps just feel like biting down on an ingrown toenail with abscessed teeth.

I think this is a great solution!

You could also incorporate the previously-discussed "player rating" system and do what stock market sites like Motley Fool do - so you could see a separate rating by "star players" or such.
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

jcflea

I agree with this thread that we need easier ways to find maps we've played but not rated.

I stopped using the carousel view on the Exchange as it would often start spinning without me clicking to the side.  Switching to the grid view makes it a little harder to find maps I've played.  I also prefer to filter by maps I've not played but I would like to either 1) rate a map on the submit score screen or 2) have a filter to find maps that I've played that have not yet received a rating.

stdout

I my estimation this is one of the most important things that still needs to be fixed in PF.

In CW3 when you finish a map, you are taken to a screen that lets you rate it immediately. You can also choose to play it again from that same screen.

In PF when you finish a map, you are kicked back out to the exchange screen. For me, I have it in grid mode with "Not Played" checked off, so I usually can't even find the map I just finished playing. I have only once or twice in my playing PF actually gone to find the game I just finished in order to rate it.

When the player finishes or exits a game, they should be given a screen  like CW3 had, where they can re-play it, or give a rating to it. That screen should have a button that when pressed sends them back to the exchange screen.

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last