[Suggestion] Make it easier to rate maps

Started by ljw1004, November 01, 2016, 01:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljw1004

I've not yet rated a single Exchange map. Why? Here's how it works:

1. I have my filter set to show only "unplayed / in-progress maps with review scores > 8 and num_reviews > 10, sorted in descending order of score"

2. I select my next map, the as-yet-unplayed one with the highest score. At this point the game gives me the option to rate this map -- which is silly, because I've not yet played it.

3. At anytime I reload the map, it again gives me the option to rate the map, which again is silly.

4. Once I complete it, I am invited to submit my high score. The only option here is "EXIT MISSION". So I exit the mission.

5. Now I'm at the carousel again. But the map I've just completed, that I'm all ready to submit my review, is no longer visible on the carousel! And if I set the filter to display all completed maps, well, I'd have no chance of finding the one I just played amongst the huge number.

So the UI as currently set up makes it as hard as possible to review maps.

SUGGESTION:

Please have a filter checkbox to show "completed but not yet reviewed" maps, and have this checkbox enabled by default. That way it'll be easy for me to see which maps I have yet to review.

Helios

Or just allow players to rate maps immediately after completion, instead of having to quite and find the map again to rate.

Sorrontis

Quote from: ljw1004 on November 01, 2016, 01:19:00 AM
I've not yet rated a single Exchange map. Why? Here's how it works:

1. I have my filter set to show only "unplayed / in-progress maps with review scores > 8 and num_reviews > 10, sorted in descending order of score"

This method means your missing all my maps. :'(
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

It is true that most maps to not meet this exacting standard. In CW3 Colonial Space, there isn't a map with a long-term score of 9 or better. The rating sort there shows nothing better than ~8.75. So either you are depriving yourself of "quite good but not fantastic" or "challenging and suffering from "ragequit-itis", or very choosy (not necessarily a bad thing, but it will give you a biased (pre-selected?) view when you do submit ratings).

I am not sure, but I think that V might be trying to keep a lid on the type of chronic (and red-queen) rating system debate that CW3 had.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

yum-forum

Quote from: GoodMorning on November 01, 2016, 02:20:24 AM
... rating system debate that CW3 had.

In CW3 rating system was almost perfect with only one exception (by my opinion): better permit to rate map only after completing/finishing it. If player not finished map (for instance, hard/tricky map) he/she not able rate it.
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=20812
Hard/tricky not always means bad!
This small rule will prevent rating maps immediately (without trying to play, only based on negative emotions) after it uploads.
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Cavemaniac

Quote from: yum-forum on November 01, 2016, 05:26:13 AM
... rating system debate that CW3 had.

In CW3 rating system was almost perfect with only one exception (by my opinion): better permit to rate map only after completing/finishing it. If player not finished map (for instance, hard/tricky map) he/she not able rate it.
This small rule will prevent rating maps immediately (without trying to play, only based on negative emotions) after it uploads.

I agree - but with the possible addition of some sort of automatic 'incomplete' or 'rage quit' label for people's ratings who have not completed/submitted a score...!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Johnny Haywire

Perhaps integrate a series of mental puzzles that a person would have to complete BEFORE rating a map?

This would eliminate people who have difficulty with certain things (I'm not going to mention "tying shoes" by the way) from giving the map a poor rating simply because - even though they CAN figure out some things (I'm not going to mention "Pop Tarts") - they're unable to figure out the map. Which clearly must be a fault of the mapmaker.

So yeah, maybe one or two mental puzzles might help block unqualified people from rating maps. Maybe something like what's on parental locks in certain apps... like 7 + 3 = _____.  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

strigvir

I am not sure, but I think that V might be trying to keep a lid on the type of chronic (and red-queen) rating system debate that CW3 had.
Too bad it only promotes the inflation of bipolar votes. If I ragequit a map I will make sure to give it a low score no matter the interface obfuscations. Or casually give 10s at any map before playing them. I wouldn't go over the list just to give 7s and 9s however.
Quote from: yum-forum on November 01, 2016, 05:26:13 AM

Your link is quite funny, because you are upset over a single 1, but totally okay with several 10s (which any CW3 puzzle map doesn't deserve). So while there are indeed people who give 1s based solely on feelings, so there are people who give 10s indiscriminately.
Also locking the rating behind completion will give an unfair advantage to slogfests, since the people who are willing to get through them are also the people who will give 7+ to them.

Sorrontis

Personally, if I can't finish a map, I give it a 10. It means it beat me. It's better than this old Sorrontis dude.

I never give below 5, unless it's a blank or achievement map. Even a bad map that's poorly balanced has some worth in my mind. Something to learn from, maybe an unfinished idea or a badly implemented one.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

Red queen problem. The system will always seem improvable.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

stdout

I agree that the player should have at least played the map before they can score it, but they shouldn't have the beat the map in order to give their opinion.

I liked the way CW3 was setup in that you have the chance to rate it immediately after beating it. In PF you are discouraged from rating because you're taken back to the carousel after completion. You should remain at the map's page so you can rate it.

Builder17

Maybe not good idea: Let player rate map only after playing map X time in real time , if he didn't win it.

And X could be 15 minutes or something.

Edit: And maybe check in some way that player actually tried win map. Might be hard in special maps...

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

chwooly

Quote from: stdout on November 11, 2016, 02:04:10 PM
I agree that the player should have at least played the map before they can score it, but they shouldn't have the beat the map in order to give their opinion.

I liked the way CW3 was setup in that you have the chance to rate it immediately after beating it. In PF you are discouraged from rating because you're taken back to the carousel after completion. You should remain at the map's page so you can rate it.

I agree that you should have to have played but how do you implement that? If you download it and let it run while you get a glass of water that would be the same as playing to the system.

I think those that argue you have to finish a map to rate it should be forced to sit down and finish a meal they have stated they don't like because it is the very same principle. You don't need to finish something to know if you like it or not.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Johnny Haywire

I still think it would be beneficial to have some kind of "player rating" as well. Like, if a player is able to beat most maps give them a higher score.  Then you could make minimum requirements for someone being able to rate maps... like, "Must have completed 400 maps and have a 7.5+ rating to rate this map". And maybe the mapmakers could even be allowed to set the level of player who could rate the maps.

Otherwise the Food Network might as well hire my 3-year old as a critic and when people don't cook Mac & Cheese she can give them two thumbs down. Or whatever kind of ratings they do on that network.

I just think it would be great if a mapmaker could prevent... (shall we just say "unskilled people?") from rating their maps. Notice I did NOT use the word that would follow this sequence:
Less off... Less on...
More off... More ___.  ;)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?