[Suggestion] Grabber Spray Mode

Started by bugbrain_04, October 03, 2016, 05:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugbrain_04

This is probably more of a sequel idea because of how much it would affect balance (there WILL be a sequel, right? RIGHT??), but wouldn't it be fun if you could set a grabber to spray particles out in a cone (with a user-specifiable spray angle) rather than a linear stream? Use one grabber to send the stream to where you need to spray from, then the second to open up the stream in order to saturate an area of space with friendly particulate. I can think of a lot of tactical applications that would be a lot of fun.

Karsten75

Have you played the Inception missions yet?

bugbrain_04

Working on the first. It's, uh, really hard. See my post in Gameplay Discussion. (Titled "Difficulty Curve")

Karsten75

#3 Daisy chain has s custom ship with a sprayer module.

bugbrain_04

Oh sweet, I'll have to check that out, thanks.

bugbrain_04

Well, that was a fun map, but the sprayer wasn't quite what I had in mind. Was hoping for a 30-60° cone, rather than the >180° spray that the Daisy Chain sprayer module seemed to work with.

Was the sprayed in Daisy Chain made with PRPL? I might try to do it myself, if so.

GoodMorning

Yes, it was. You can extract the scripts, and planetfall has begun a thread on custom modules.

It would likely be a small change to make.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

bugbrain_04

keldor314

I'd like to see this too, something like a "spray arc" slider on the ship UI - 0 degrees for the current linear spray, and 360 degrees for omnidirectional, and everything in between.  Same thing for emitter control.  Omnidirectional and wide angles are handy for defense of an area, while narrow angles are needed for transport and attack.

GoodMorning

Ship UI is currently cramped due to the variety of modules which must be allowed for. I don't anticipate this changing.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.