[Suggestion] Rotate ships on Command Bridge, not center of mass

Started by PhailRaptor, October 02, 2016, 02:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhailRaptor

This is kind of driving me nuts, especially when positioning Tankers for maximum range extension.

In order for a ship to be resupplied by an Energy Mine (or from a Tanker Port, for that matter), the ship's command bridge must be within the highlighted circle.  This becomes an issue when moving and rotating a ship at the same time, because for most ships, their command bridge is not at their center of mass.  This often results in having to stop and spend extra time fidgeting ships around when working at the edge of resupply range.

Most notably, with Tankers.  The range of the Port is drawn from the Port itself, rather than the center of mass, so for maximum effect you need to rotate the Tanker correctly to have the Port sticking out as far as possible.  This usually means that I "miss" the sweet spot when moving the ship and then rotating it to the correct angle, because the ship rotates on it's center of mass, not the command bridge.  This pushes the command bridge outside of resupply range, requiring the ship to be fidgeted back a few pixels to allow resupply of the Tanker.

It would alleviate a lot of frustration and make the positioning aspect of gameplay much smoother, allowing focus on the actual gameplay.

The_Mell

I can understand you because i built a tanker specially to exploit it: full length, bridge at end, engines middle and port at front.
So an option could be interesting from gameplay side.

On the other side just thinking this monostrity would turn like a hinged door makes me cringe - it wouldn't look right.  :o
Maybe after years of Kerbal Space Program i've become too sensitive for things like that, but if it would be considered to be implemented then only as an option and not as default.
"Fairies Wear Boots" - Black Sabbath