Screenshots and Videos

Started by knucracker, September 10, 2016, 03:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

5:48 eh? Nice...
That might be hard to beat.

Yes, those lines are an opengl thing on linux.  It happens depending on the specific zoom level and the position of the map.  It's an integer rounding texture kind of thing.  What it really is, is a giant pain.  It's on my list to address for linux.  It requires a healthy amount of testing on linux to repro and to fix the problem without making a new one, so I've punted on it for now.  I hope to get to it soon...

Karsten75

Quote from: planetfall on September 13, 2016, 01:36:40 PM

That's in the game, and it seems to be a linux-only problem. Even the windows version running under wine doesn't do that. I opt to play with the lines, because most text doesn't work on the windows version (I'm probably missing a font or something stupid like that.)
Do you happen to know if it is specific to AMD or Nvidia cards?

ShadeOfRed

Okay...so I've got a few videos now coming out for you guys who DON'T want story missions.  I can't and won't promise level of play like what planetfall did, but you can watch and see what you think would be a better way of doing it!   :P

Here is the Playlist for all non story missions!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-nwvADog8DK3qWYnJ9Xjr5qtStQrnoWj

I am editing and uploading more as I type this so expect more!

knucracker

Just a few notes after watching you play planetfalls Upkeep map:
- That sound that particles make when they expire, I'm either going to remove or subdue it.
- You can multi select omnis with the ctrl key.  The shift key lets you place waypoints when moving omnis.
- I watched your video on an apple tv so the whole family could watch on the big screen.  We were taking bets on how high your amp gem count would get before you used them :)  Good fun... and good to watch.

mzimmer74

Quote from: virgilw on September 13, 2016, 07:24:08 PM
We were taking bets on how high your amp gem count would get before you used them :)  Good fun... and good to watch.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that kept thinking "use the amps!" :)  Man these videos are whetting my appetite!
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

ShadeOfRed

I know...the amp gems are new to me.  So I forget.  Thanks though.  I'm glad you can at least laugh at my bumbling and enjoy it!   ;)

Tjgalon

Quote from: ShadeOfRed on September 13, 2016, 08:33:50 PM
I know...the amp gems are new to me.  So I forget.  Thanks though.  I'm glad you can at least laugh at my bumbling and enjoy it!   ;)
Lol, I feel yea. Though since I never played the game, i assume you had a good reason to not use them, did not know it just be because you forgot, lol.

newcreeper

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post my gameplay of a Simulacrum mission.  Take a look at the tech tree and the info on each of them and also take a look at a custom ship in action.  This is my first LP, i'm a rookie.  If anyone wants to see some specific stuff, message me and I'll try to accommodate.  Thanks again Virgil, I absolutely love this game.

Devil505

Cavemaniac

Here are a few pix of planetfall's awesome map 'Warp never changes', which you'll find in the inception sector.

It's a big, brutal map, the enemy gets a foothold early and is tricky to dislodge - and what ships and Omnis are available to you are limited. And if that's not enough, planetfall has created some awesome weapons and artifacts (mostly for the benefit of the enemy!) with PRPL. I shudder to think what the community will come up with in the coming months....

I currently have the best time on this map ( ;)) but it took me two days, literally forty saves and probably a hundred restarts from various points.

I tried to finesse it, but in the end (once I finally had the resources), I simply assembled an awesome fleet formation and went head on at it.

Having said that, proper use of the Omnis was vital - it really was as much a 'land' war as a space battle.

These pix may give you an insight as to what is possible - fleet formations, giving covering fire and protection to auxiliary ships.

This particular one is a favorite, though the actual composition changes depending what ships are actually available.

The last pic shows the awesome 'move as one' command Virgil implemented especially for these tight fleet maneuvering situations.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

ShadeOfRed

Quote from: Tjgalon on September 13, 2016, 11:44:07 PM
Lol, I feel yea. Though since I never played the game, i assume you had a good reason to not use them, did not know it just be because you forgot, lol.

Well...it's part that I'm not used to using them...and you have to understand how my brain works.  I'm that guy when you play DnD or a roleplaying game who NEVER drinks a potion.  Because...I MIGHT NEED IT LATER MORE!  I know I can reuse the amp gems...but man...it makes me nervous everytime I slot one...except for the upgrades for some reason... :)

Ninja

Quote from: ShadeOfRed on September 14, 2016, 09:34:32 AM

Well...it's part that I'm not used to using them...and you have to understand how my brain works.  I'm that guy when you play DnD or a roleplaying game who NEVER drinks a potion.  Because...I MIGHT NEED IT LATER MORE!  I know I can reuse the amp gems...but man...it makes me nervous everytime I slot one...except for the upgrades for some reason... :)
Haha, I feel you. I have (or used to at least) a similar reaction when playing an RTS, one example being Warcraft II: BUT IF I ATTACK NOW, MAYBE I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH UNITS!!?!?!?

ShadeOfRed

Quote from: Ninja on September 14, 2016, 11:41:47 AM

Haha, I feel you. I have (or used to at least) a similar reaction when playing an RTS, one example being Warcraft II: BUT IF I ATTACK NOW, MAYBE I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH UNITS!!?!?!?

That's the feeling right there.  I would often max out unit count on Warcraft 3.  :)

Ninja

Quote from: ShadeOfRed on September 14, 2016, 01:17:34 PM
Quote from: Ninja on September 14, 2016, 11:41:47 AM

That's the feeling right there.  I would often max out unit count on Warcraft 3.  :)
'Tis why I switched to RTS games more like Starcraft 2 or Planetary Annihilation, where the unit max is absolutely giant.
Back on topic, though;
I haven't watched all of your non-story mission episodes yet, but could you try to find one by a guy named Teknotiss? His maps in CW3 were awesome, and I'd love to see a play-through of what he has in PF.

ShadeOfRed

Yeah, I looked, there weren't any by Teknotiss at the moment.  I'm sure there will be when the game goes public!

Cavemaniac

Quote from: ShadeOfRed on September 14, 2016, 03:00:22 PM
Yeah, I looked, there weren't any by Teknotiss at the moment.  I'm sure there will be when the game goes public!

teknotiss has made quite a lot of (awesome!) maps over the development of PF alpha and beta, and he is currently working to upgrade his maps for the current build, ready for inclusion at release.

C'mon tek - we're all hanging out for your maps!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.