Feedback for Creeper World 4 Demo

Started by teasot, June 17, 2020, 04:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teasot

Hi,

New to this forum (hi!).

I was wondering if there was a feedback thread for the Creeper World 4 Demo, where we can say what we liked/dislike so far,  or were for some reason or other unable to find the setting for? If so I will delete this and move it to that thread.

If not, may as well start here:

(See Power.png)

I cannot see the lines between power poles, unless energy is travelling along it.

That means that I cannot tell if the two "islands" in the red boxes are connected via power or not.

I expect some option somewhere to enable this but cannot find it.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Ignore the above regarding power!

I have found the feature!

Expand the "Visibility" tab and "tick" the All Paths option to show the paths between power poles and such.
See "All paths.png" attachment.

teasot

While I am on this thread, some more constructive criticism:

The "Out of power" icon seems really hard to see - it is quite small and the same colour as the cannon.
Please see the screenshot attached (cannon/turret in the red box).

I really love the move to 3D, though it has required some adjustment on my part - I am already enjoying the demo and am only on the third mission! Kudos to the dev for having created the amazing games in the past, and CW4 is looking great so far!

Xorgye

Well, im looking for a feedback like system too. I know they want most of the discussion on discord... but I like show chat more :P

Esc -> it should bring up the menu.
Reintroduction of quick keys to select new unit types (keys 1-0, E-U)
When displaying mission intro, make a button for the default action. Like 'OK'. Having to seek for the 'X' to continue is bad for flow I guess.
Im constantly looking for if a unit is connected or not... hard to see with the current 'default hide' for a line when a unit is not receiving packets.
A lot of different font sizes on messages and UI elements: gives a lot of unnecessary mental clutter I think.
In the first mission I could relocate my station, and in the second I cant... but there is at that time in the game no visual clue whether this is locked or I just don't know how to do it.
Canon firing abilities feel inconsistent. The solar system automatically reached over edges now (different from CW3) but the cannon can sometimes shoot over edges and some time not... and it isn't clear at placement this would be the case.

I'm really enjoying the demo game right now so these are just minor inconveniences.

moo

Good game like previous CW version

Current visual design of objects need to be improved:
1. way too harder than previous CW to distinguish our different type of units: missile/sniper from zoom out view
2. hard to distinguish enemy between incoming and dying (flying up)
both our units and enemy when die flying up is a cool effect but the look of it somehow interfere my view too much since there're so many objects on the ground already
it's not that hard when i pay attention, but still a little when i focus on playing the game busy checking everything
please tweak it, like changing color/shape/transparency

moo

i finished all demo missions yesterday, but someone i open it today half is finished. is it because i press alt+F4? (i don't remember)

Running Rat

I played the demo, and it seems good so far. I noticed that there were a bunch of changes from CW3. Overall, I think CW3 is better than this demo, but the full version of CW4 will probably be better than the full version of CW3. Here are some more specific thoughts: 
Changes that I approve of:
The new square collectors. Now I can build my collector grid without feeling like I'm wasting part of the collector's power by having them overlap or wasting space by spacing them out too much. The smaller size is nice too. In CW3 they looked smaller than your weapons, but they weren't, and it was weird. Now they look much smaller and they ARE much smaller.
The new, much more lighthearted story. It's funny how we have our exasperated guy dealing with the antics of some quirky A.I. It's more fun than CW3's depressing "everyone is dead except you and the bad guys" story.
The new 3D graphics. What more can I say? The graphics are much better and that's a good thing.
Changes that I don't feel very strongly about:
Cannons can't hit creeper that's right next to them if it's on lower ground. This makes high ground a little bit less of an auto win, but only a little bit. Overall, it just feels odd and it'll take some getting used to.
The new spores, and their ability to avoid missile launchers by just flying above them out of their range. On one hand, it's a neat way to show off the third dimension. It's also a buff to spores, which from a balance perspective is probably a good thing because they felt underpowered in CW3. On the other hand... all it really does is force you to scatter anti-air throughout your base, instead of just putting it on the front line. Meh.
The new victory conditions. The game is still "beat back the creeper until you get to the victory thingy." Only now the victory thingy is totems and liftic containers instead of the enemy buildings. I often found myself nullifying all the enemies anyway. May as well complete all the objectives, and finishing off the enemy is satisfying.
Changes that I don't approve of:
The one rift lab limit. Having multiple command nodes in CW3 was neat. It opened up new strategies like having multiple bases, or having one base with multiple battlefields and a command node on each front line. I realize that CW3 only let you have one command node in the first few levels, so hopefully this is just a demo thing and not a permanent change.
Spore towers give you no warning when they're going to launch spores, or how many they're going to launch. The only way to figure it out is through trial and error. Fortunately, there wasn't much error in my experience, but I could see this being a problem with stronger and/or earlier spore towers. Once again, I hope this is just because the game is in development and not a permanent change.

Grabz

Quote from: Running Rat on June 20, 2020, 06:08:01 AM
The one rift lab limit. Having multiple command nodes in CW3 was neat. It opened up new strategies like having multiple bases, or having one base with multiple battlefields and a command node on each front line.
AFAIK you can always only have one lab. However, you can still have multiple bases, you just have to send them resources with porters (guppy equivalent in CW4).

Quote from: Running Rat on June 20, 2020, 06:08:01 AM
Spore towers give you no warning when they're going to launch spores, or how many they're going to launch.
Spore alerts are coming. The game is also planned to give information about enemy units on hover.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

Xorgye

Quote from: Grabz on June 20, 2020, 11:55:38 AM
AFAIK you can always only have one lab. However, you can still have multiple bases, you just have to send them resources with porters (guppy equivalent in CW4).
Sounds good, more realistic. But it is quite different from CW3, in that it opens up fewer strategic options.
With CW3 multiple bases strategy was available early game. Early game is everything in creeper world. That makes such a difference, this porter thing needs buildup so it is only late early game you can start using it at earliest.

On the demo: I have played all levels now and the only time things did go wrong was due to my grid not being connected. There are 2 problems here:
1) I didn't know that something was hit. Yes I heard a destroy sound but could not pay attention at the time. Can we have a more clear hit log?
2) The visual indication of connections is much less. It is hard to see if there is a connection problem upstream... yes there are secondary indication such as ammo shortage or collectors not working, but that is hard to spot in the midst of the action.

Crusher99333

Here are a few bugs I've found after a few hours of playing the demo:

Spores can land in areas where the land level is zero, and the creeper from that spore can spread out over that empty space.

When I changed the keybinding for "Cancel", the display when I selected a unit still listed "(Space)" as the keybind.

Karsten75

Quote from: Crusher99333 on June 21, 2020, 11:22:43 PM
Here are a few bugs I've found after a few hours of playing the demo:

Spores can land in areas where the land level is zero, and the creeper from that spore can spread out over that empty space.
This is not a bug. Spores can be targeted anywhere. If they land in void. they do spread out.

When I changed the keybinding for "Cancel", the display when I selected a unit still listed "(Space)" as the keybind.

Do you have a screenshot for this?

hbarudi

Thanks for the demo really enjoyed finally getting to play this game. The game is also performing very well so thanks for performance improvements.

sky_killer

loved the demo. my only suggestion is the UI. I dont know if others also feel this or just me.

User interface is such a mess,  please look at repositioning and resizing various elements so we can look at them without having to search them visually or missing important events.  Energy line is uncomfortable,it should be longer, i would like it to change colors or blink when it reaches the limit, to draw the attention.

Factory and ern can be moved to a better position, like bottom left.
other things like time and speed can be in line with energy bar or in bottom  , as it will not hinder the view terribly as they do in the demo.
trees look too green, they can be a darker shade of green.

Let me know guys if you think these are good suggestions or its just me :).

I cant wait to play the full version. hope there are new units and hope you add something like the singularity weapon.