A few suggestions

Started by Introprospector, January 17, 2018, 12:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Introprospector

Since CW4 is going 3-d it needs to feel 3-d. The game is going to get criticism if underneath it all it feels flat. Like being tricked. I'm talking platforms, overhangs, floating terrain, moving platforms, etc. This is a serious feature that could be impossible to implement if left out until a late stage. Even if it's not used in the base campaign having it in the map editor would open up amazing scenarios for map creators.

Range boost for units if they're at the top of a cliff, shadowing, etc.

The packet build order from CW3 should be reworked. Basic checkbox options like "nearest first", "furthest first", "even distribution" and custom advanced prioritized order are a must. A build priority of 1 to 9 should give enough fine grained control. Multiple units that are given the same priority use even distribution.

Consider energy "drain" for inactive units. One packet every once in a while would prevent playing massive builds with dozens of units, as all the inactive units would be wasting energy continuously.

Try not to make the fabricators look like minecraft, that's a mistake

Great game, it looks very promising and visually pleasing at this early juncture, I look forward to seeing more and telling everyone about it! :O

cpaca

My thoughts: 

QuoteSince CW4 is going 3-d it needs to feel 3-d. The game is going to get criticism if underneath it all it feels flat. Like being tricked. I'm talking platforms, overhangs, floating terrain, moving platforms, etc. This is a serious feature that could be impossible to implement if left out until a late stage. Even if it's not used in the base campaign having it in the map editor would open up amazing scenarios for map creators.
Moving platforms? But what about the units trying to get theirselves built on said moving platforms? What if the packets to build them dissapear because it moved out of range? Solution, I guess, would be to "prepare for the future" packets or have each building have an "internal storage" or some buildings with an "internal storage" 

QuoteRange boost for units if they're at the top of a cliff, shadowing, etc.
Range boost... Blasters and Sprayers use "laser"-ish weapons [no arc] and Mortars could use this, maybe. 
Shadowing I think we saw in some earlier dev videos, i'm not too sure though. 

QuoteThe packet build order from CW3 should be reworked. Basic checkbox options like "nearest first", "furthest first", "even distribution" and custom advanced prioritized order are a must. A build priority of 1 to 9 should give enough fine grained control. Multiple units that are given the same priority use even distribution.
I highly agree with the build-order thing. I think it's been discussed in the Discord before, I don't remember if knucracker/virgilw got in on it though. 

QuoteTry not to make the fabricators look like minecraft, that's a mistake
That's an in-dev look, it's probably not gonna look like minecraft in the end, in fact I hear a lot of it having the Factorio feel, not the Minecraft feel. 

QuoteGreat game, it looks very promising and visually pleasing at this early juncture, I look forward to seeing more and telling everyone about it! :O
Agreed! 

I'm not the dev, these are just my thoughts.
To use [OUR] Custom Modules, go to Forums/Knuckle Cracker/PFE/Map Makers, Ship Builders, and Coders, Go to the pinned posts, find the one named "Custom Modules Thread", Open it, Scroll down until you find ShipModule, Apply that into your map, do not apply it into map if one copy already exists, Apply the Adder script (Sometimes named "Master.prpl, sometimes [shipname]Adder, etc.) and the actual used scripts [which i will state in my posts]. If one copy already exists, do not apply another copy. -The CMC :-)

GoodMorning

Good to hear your thoughts.

Overhangs are incompatible with the fluid simulation without a complete rewrite - there is, for UI, rendering, and backend, much to be said for that constraint. Non-land floating platforms could possibly be done, floating over the Creeper. Boats have been suggested too.

'Shadowing'? Range boosts can be done, but are part of the still-over-the-horizon balancing stage, so we'll see how much fun they are.

Surprisingly, most packet-priority issues can be solved by a 'me first' marker, from the casual (known to we who play that way as 'lazy') to the down-to-the-wire experts.

Agreed about fabricators, but that's a pre-alpha skin - who knows what a dev-quick-reference will turn into.

Like everyone, we shall wait and see what V comes up with.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Introprospector

Quote from: cpaca on January 17, 2018, 01:45:52 AM
My thoughts: 

QuoteSince CW4 is going 3-d it needs to feel 3-d. The game is going to get criticism if underneath it all it feels flat. Like being tricked. I'm talking platforms, overhangs, floating terrain, moving platforms, etc. This is a serious feature that could be impossible to implement if left out until a late stage. Even if it's not used in the base campaign having it in the map editor would open up amazing scenarios for map creators.
Moving platforms? But what about the units trying to get theirselves built on said moving platforms? What if the packets to build them dissapear because it moved out of range?
This is how it works when buildings are destroyed. The packets disappear. You can micro-manage with "stop resupply" to prevent lost ammo but I don't think it's important.

Overhangs are incompatible with the fluid simulation without a complete rewrite - there is, for UI, rendering, and backend, much to be said for that constraint. Non-land floating platforms could possibly be done, floating over the Creeper. Boats have been suggested too.
That's why this needs to be suggested NOW. If it is going to be considered it needs to be considered early on. I assumed it would be a significant task.