Mechanics Suggestions

Started by guigs44, November 20, 2017, 06:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guigs44

Pylons:
Pylons should be like relays: Long ranged with increased packet speed, but should only connect to themselves and to towers.

Microrifts and Guppies:
I don't see the point on having Microrifts in this game.
They made sense back on CW2 where there were no energy nets and the packets just floated arround.
Instead having the good old Guppy flying arround delivering stuff makes more sense.

Creeper Height and Density:
If i understood it right, creeper after reaching certain height will keep on getting higher up but it just wont get rendered.
As someone said in one of the comments on the KC's channel, it should instead hit a soft height cap and get denser. (idk how hard it would be to code)

Gravity pockets and the aforementioned Density.
Something that i loved to see on CW2/3 were the variations in Creeper flow and density caused by "gravity anomalies" and that kind of stuff.
I hope that these return in CW4.

Shields:
Spherical forcefields.
Imagine how awesome it would be to have an "undercreeper" outpost/base where the only thing keeping the creeper from falling over and flooding everything were those awesome forcefields.
Making those resizable at the expense of more power would be cool as well. Maybe making so the power usage is directly proportional to the radius^x (where x is defined by the devs ofc).

Propulsion for the moving units:
This is a graphical suggestion rather than a mechanics but i thought on throwing it in because why not?
Make so when the units move and float arround they get a little flame or pulse of some sort (the pulse makes more sense since energy n' stuff[ed for Lang. V]) to indicate that they aren't just floating arround and there's something carrying them arround.

What do you guys think?
Any more ideas?

Chimera++

Quote from: guigs44 on November 20, 2017, 06:00:17 PM
Pylons:
Pylons should be like relays: Long ranged with increased packet speed, but should only connect to themselves and to towers.

Microrifts and Guppies:
They made sense back on CW2 where there were no energy nets and the packets just floated arround.
Instead having the good old Guppy flying arround delivering stuff makes more sense.

Creeper Height and Density:
If i understood it right, creeper after reaching certain height will keep on getting higher up but it just wont get rendered.
As someone said in one of the comments on the KC's channel, it should instead hit a soft height cap and get denser. (idk how hard it would be to code)

Gravity pockets and the aforementioned Density.
Something that i loved to see on CW2/3 were the variations in Creeper flow and density caused by "gravity anomalies" and that kind of stuff.
I hope that these return in CW4.

Shields:
Spherical forcefields.
Imagine how awesome it would be to have an "undercreeper" outpost/base where the only thing keeping the creeper from falling over and flooding everything were those awesome forcefields.
Making those resizable at the expense of more power would be cool as well. Maybe making so the power usage is directly proportional to the radius^x (where x is defined by the devs ofc).

Propulsion for the moving units:
This is a graphical suggestion rather than a mechanics but i thought on throwing it in because why not?
Make so when the units move and float arround they get a little flame or pulse of some sort (the pulse makes more sense since energy n' stuff[ed for Lang. V]) to indicate that they aren't just floating arround and there's something carrying them arround.

What do you guys think?
Any more ideas?

The spherical forcefields sounds troublesome, how you would comfortable see things under the creeper and have a good sense about everything? Sounds a bit out of place in this game.

Gravity anomalies as well as gravity or "telekinesis" weapons are a must for me, being able to manipulate both the creeper and the anti creeper on some way would be fun, creating your own anomalies, pushing it away, creating waves, typhoons and whatnot, the enemy creeper should have some of these things as well.

I will dare to throw some wild ideas:

Honestly, if the towers can move freely, why not more vehicles? Make towers slower and vehicles weaker somehow, less range and other limits, we could have tanks, helicopters, submarines and others, some can come back to base to refill, others need to be supplied on the front lines, we could even have carriers and transport vehicles, but maybe I am getting carried away by thoughts of other RTS games...

Weather changes? Rain or a bright sun affecting units? Different wind strength and direction affecting the creeper physics, units and possibly wind turbines?

What about different factions with different specialties? Maybe tech trees that change how you play the game? You can't upgrade everything or every stat of your units on the same match and some upgrades change wildly how units work.

theachevah

What if... what if....
Creeper, at a sertain density...
Can corrode/erode terrain?
And anti creeper...
Erode terrain?
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!

theachevah

Microrifts and Guppies:

OR... or... make a guppy go somewhere and build up a microrift so its in a way attached to the mainframe?
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!

readerboy7

Microrifts and Guppies:

I agree that microrifts are probably not a good unit for CW4, and should probably not be included in the final release. I also don't think they're intended to be. I think they're a way to easily code and implement having multiple sources for packets, and debug packet path-finding issues under certain circumstances. They seem like good placeholders to me, the fact that we haven't seen them in a video yet notwithstanding.

As to other mechanics suggestions, I think it'd be interesting to have something akin to CW2 repulser, or mono-directional shields. Maybe an option to only have shields only push in a single direction, for reduced energy expenditure and/or increased power. Or maybe have an option for shields to push creeper but not anticreeper, or vice versa

Mefi

I'd like improvment in nullifire UI info. When you set it at map it should give pointer to creeper structure so when 2 are close I won't miss one.

rer24

Microrifts and Guppies:
They made sense back on CW2 where there were no energy nets and the packets just floated around.
Instead having the good old Guppy flying around delivering stuff makes more sense.

I've actually been thinking about this, and realized the two are very different. Guppies can fly, meaning they can power an outpost anywhere, but ineffectively. Microrifts create constant connections once built, meaning you first have to get to a position before you can build a microrift there. This can be useful given the new creeper by forcing you to fight through a valley of creeper to get to the next hill, but then allowing the creeper to collapse into the valley once a microrift is built. Of course, it is all subject to change, so we'll see.
We shall end the infinite cycle of madness!