About Void Terrain

Started by GameGibu, October 27, 2017, 07:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GameGibu

So with this new angled view, void doesn't make much sense being a wall anymore. If void returns in CW4, I think it would act like an actual hole in the terrain which allows Creeper to drain through it, possibly at a rate determined by the size of the gap. Maybe this is an infinite drain, or maybe it teleports whatever it catches to somewhere else on the map, or drops it from orbit at a specific (or random) location in the form of a large blob.

Just my thoughts, don't know if this has been discussed in the discord already since that channel gets hundreds of messages each day. I just wanted to have the complete thought in one piece.
Bringing you Custom maps since 2971!
☆CRPL Master☆

pawel345

I think is should not be a hole, that would make things way to easy. If normal terrain is a planet the water does not automatically fly out of it into space, but if there is too much water it might spill out of the atmosphere (actually it can't as the more water the more gravity as water has mass).

Hilol1000

I think void should just be a wall. That would make the most sense.

strigvir

It's almost like the void terrain in CW3 didn't make sense, unlike certain other game.

herobattle530

I'm also for an invisible wall. Maybe have the hole idea as a gimmick or something. Though, I'm not sure how putting emitters in void would work. (Could you do that in CW3? Just put them in the void?) It also depends if digitalis or something like that exists where it goes over the void.  If the digitalis is destroyed over the void, what happens to the Creeper? Does it just fall out of existence?  If there's an invisible wall, it's gone. Maybe have a one way wall? Creeper stuck in void can pass through to land, but creeper on land can't pass through to void. But that doesnt solve what happens if you put an emitter on a separate island.(like the two in this map: https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=26761.msg166260;topicseen#new ) Will it overflow into the void? Will it just stay there until it turns into Anti-creeper? Many questions that must be considered for this to work.

GameGibu

Void terrain in CW3 had an effective height of 400 if I remember correctly. Having a stopped wall of creeper in this kind of 3D rendering environment doesn't seem right to me.

In CW3, destroying digitalis over void would dump the creeper onto the void terrain, it wouldn't disappear. if anything I think CW4's void terrain would act like regular terrain does relative to void terrain in CW3: like a sort of drain. Of course, in CW3 since this is regular terrain "filling up" to a fixed virtual height of void terrain, it eventually gets filled up and the creeper is no longer siphoned into that "hole in the void", allowing whatever was putting creeper onto the void to continue expanding.

I have no control over how you choose to interpret my words.
Bringing you Custom maps since 2971!
☆CRPL Master☆

cpaca

First things first, GameGibu, CW3 void was height 500, not 400. 

Void: The problem I see with it just being a "wall" is if you put an emitter on it. 
I think the solution here is to have the Void work the same way as in CW3, except instead of 500 overflow, it overflows at approx. 2.147 bil. [the integer limit]
To use [OUR] Custom Modules, go to Forums/Knuckle Cracker/PFE/Map Makers, Ship Builders, and Coders, Go to the pinned posts, find the one named "Custom Modules Thread", Open it, Scroll down until you find ShipModule, Apply that into your map, do not apply it into map if one copy already exists, Apply the Adder script (Sometimes named "Master.prpl, sometimes [shipname]Adder, etc.) and the actual used scripts [which i will state in my posts]. If one copy already exists, do not apply another copy. -The CMC :-)

Karsten75

Quote from: cpaca on October 29, 2017, 08:41:36 PM
First things first, GameGibu, CW3 void was height 500, not 400. 

Void: The problem I see with it just being a "wall" is if you put an emitter on it. 
I think the solution here is to have the Void work the same way as in CW3, except instead of 500 overflow, it overflows at approx. 2.147 bil. [the integer limit]

Initially in CW3 development, that was the internal height of void. What happens when it comes down on any level of terrain is terrifying.  So it was modified to a more reasonable height.

Builder17

Quote from: GameGibu on October 27, 2017, 07:29:51 PM
So with this new angled view, void doesn't make much sense being a wall anymore. If void returns in CW4, I think it would act like an actual hole in the terrain which allows Creeper to drain through it, possibly at a rate determined by the size of the gap. Maybe this is an infinite drain, or maybe it teleports whatever it catches to somewhere else on the map, or drops it from orbit at a specific (or random) location in the form of a large blob.

Just my thoughts, don't know if this has been discussed in the discord already since that channel gets hundreds of messages each day. I just wanted to have the complete thought in one piece.

In this CW3 map https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=26761 void is actually hole, not wall, thanks for good idea. :)

That map uses SetTerrainOverride to revert void and normal terrain heights to opposite, clear enough?