Custom Map #3222: Ocean vs Technology. By: Vertu

Started by AutoPost, June 08, 2022, 01:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #3222: Ocean vs Technology

Author: Vertu
Size: 320x100

rsmithers@rsmithers.com

I am totally lost on this map. Is there a guide somewhere as to what the units are supposed to do? I can't make heads or tails of anything.

Blaarg

First thing I'd recommend for this map is to zoom out.  You should see the rift lab & a fleet of 16 small ships & 2 larger ships.  The ships are fully loaded with ammunition, but are not armed so they won't start shooting until you switch them to armed. 

Just pick a place to start and try to use your fleet to clear a spot so you can build things.  The rift lab doesn't seem to take any damage from being in creeper, so you can plop it down someplace & use the RESTOCKv to tell all the ships to come there to replenish ammo.

Once you have a spot clear and start to build things, basically all the custom units have tooltips saying what they do when you hover over them.

Best of luck. 

Vertu

Quote from: rsmithers@rsmithers.com on June 08, 2022, 06:10:02 PM
I am totally lost on this map. Is there a guide somewhere as to what the units are supposed to do? I can't make heads or tails of anything.
They have a wiki page. When hovering over one of the flying units, press  the wiki key as said in their popup.
I have made great effort in making those wiki pages.
I haven't gotten to all of them so one of the initial units can be see in this link along with every other unit.
http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=cw4:cpack:docs:7f65b557-95b9-47d0-807a-5d05b1b426db#air_units
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

InwardChaos

I was able to get a foothold on the map, and began making the V-Reactor units for power generation, but when the 5 I had be building finished, they started "Overloading". I deleted them, but for some reason, my Rift Lab stopped producing energy packets. I was at 35 generation, but at a 300~ deficit in energy, and it wasn't going up or changing. Without being able to produce energy packets, all of my refineries went offline, and I couldn't build any more V- units.
When the overload happened, my energy storage dropped from over 7k to the -300 resting point.

Vertu

Quote from: InwardChaos on June 09, 2022, 12:06:44 AM
I was able to get a foothold on the map, and began making the V-Reactor units for power generation, but when the 5 I had be building finished, they started "Overloading". I deleted them, but for some reason, my Rift Lab stopped producing energy packets. I was at 35 generation, but at a 300~ deficit in energy, and it wasn't going up or changing. Without being able to produce energy packets, all of my refineries went offline, and I couldn't build any more V- units.
When the overload happened, my energy storage dropped from over 7k to the -300 resting point.
Did by any chance the Rift Lab have a ammo of "NaN". Sounds like this is what happened.
I found this scary mathematical error caused by them and attempted to fix it.

If it did still say "NaN" than the fix did not work and I apologize.
Though it seems that this is caused by the overload surge so what I can do is lower the scaling of the surges to make this mathematical death harder to achieve.

I will be sure to reduce the potency of overload surges. Sadly I can not just update the map. So in the mean time, try not to experience V-Reactor overloads.
You can find everything about the V-Reactor and how the overload works here:
http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=cw4:cmod:docs:9966395a-9a1b-4f41-92ad-ebd27d1263d0
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

Mr$Hyper$

So in the screenshot this is what I got and after destroying all my reactors it still isn't fixed. I spent 15 minutes afking for the creep to go down and it breaks completely.

Vertu

Quote from: Mr$Hyper$ on June 10, 2022, 12:44:09 AM
So in the screenshot this is what I got and after destroying all my reactors it still isn't fixed. I spent 15 minutes afking for the creep to go down and it breaks completely.
Can you give me your save?
It looks like, judging by the energy use bar (red line), it is not a NaN situation from a mathematical death.
This can mean my solution against NaN worked but won't stop activating so you are stuck at 0 energy.

You can find your game save using this file path direction:
%HOMEPATH%\Documents\My Games\creeperworld4\colonies\maps\3222
Or if it is in OneDrive
%HOMEPATH%\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\creeperworld4\colonies\maps\3222
and apply it as an attachment.
I would like to try fixing what happened though for all I know, a :Gameload or :Once after recompile will fix it. Limiting my debugging abilities but I still want to try and see what may of happened.

fooschnickens

Fun to FINALLY be able to play with some of the VPAC units, but it would have been nice to be able to cut my teeth in a less... frantic setting.

I went through probably a dozen or so reactors as I fumbled my way through the balancing act of keeping them happy early on, at the expense of literally everything I had built in the little bubble I had carved out for myself in the map. Rather frustrating even with studious use of quicksaves.

A simpler tutorial type level would be fantastic to introduce these units to the player, perhaps something that ramps up in difficulty rather than starting immediately at an intermediate level with a 'throw them to the wolves' kind of mentality. The wiki pages are definitely helpful, but so information dense in some cases that it's difficult to focus on what's required to get started.

Still a fun map, look forward to more VPAC stuff!

Vertu

Quote from: fooschnickens on June 12, 2022, 09:48:27 AM
Fun to FINALLY be able to play with some of the VPAC units, but it would have been nice to be able to cut my teeth in a less... frantic setting.

I went through probably a dozen or so reactors as I fumbled my way through the balancing act of keeping them happy early on, at the expense of literally everything I had built in the little bubble I had carved out for myself in the map. Rather frustrating even with studious use of quicksaves.

A simpler tutorial type level would be fantastic to introduce these units to the player, perhaps something that ramps up in difficulty rather than starting immediately at an intermediate level with a 'throw them to the wolves' kind of mentality. The wiki pages are definitely helpful, but so information dense in some cases that it's difficult to focus on what's required to get started.

Still a fun map, look forward to more VPAC stuff!
Well it wasn't a tutorial place. lol
By the sounds of what you said, I did color code the V-Reactor page and the green text would of been what you needed to look at. It is quite easy to read though if you where referring to the Fighter page, well yeah. Maybe it would of been better to see the CPACK wiki page or just stick to the "Basic Stats" piece or used the categories at the top right of the page to navigate more easily. Hard to be condense with something with as many features as the VGPSF.

Glad you enjoyed it. This also somewhat tells me those units are now more approachable than they where a good while ago. No more need of making manuals in the ADA start message.