Jopsy's Maps

Started by Jopsy, November 10, 2014, 08:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopsy

This thread is to get feedback on maps before I upload them to Colonial Space.

I'm currently working on a "Baseball" themed map, with a silly bit of CRPL that 'pitches' spores towards homeplate and then 'bats' them into the outfield where the player is setting up. (Thank you Grayzzur for posting a sample custom spore tower!)

The creeper surges the outfield pretty quickly, not likely to be a problem for expert players... is it too much for medium players?

Current map has terp-tech and a thor, but I'll probably remove them for final-final map. 

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated!

stdout

Just played it. Loved it!  ;D The opening text was actually funny. I laughed at loud at the thought of the creeper taking the field as in baseball. The spore tower pitcher was a really, really nicely done touch.

The game plays quite nicely. In fact, in my opinion I think it's ready for CS except for the thor. It's overpowered for this map. I was having fun with my one bertha, taking the field over, and then I realized you included thor tech, so I built the thor and a couple minutes later my fun game was finished. I highly suggest you take the thor out before publishing the map. The game is fun as it is without the thor.

Plus in real-life baseball, we don't get to include a troll or ogre on our team.  ;)

Great job!

teknotiss

Quote from: stdout on November 11, 2014, 10:53:18 AM
Just played it. Loved it!  ;D The opening text was actually funny. I laughed at loud at the thought of the creeper taking the field as in baseball. The spore tower pitcher was a really, really nicely done touch.

The game plays quite nicely. In fact, in my opinion I think it's ready for CS except for the thor. It's overpowered for this map. I was having fun with my one bertha, taking the field over, and then I realized you included thor tech, so I built the thor and a couple minutes later my fun game was finished. I highly suggest you take the thor out before publishing the map. The game is fun as it is without the thor.

Plus in real-life baseball, we don't get to include a troll or ogre on our team.  ;)

Great job!
also loved it, haven't posted a score since i too would recommend no thor for this one.
otherwise great map, perhaps have pickups for a couple more berthas? it can be done with one, but if you increase the cost of them a bit it could work with more too.

stdout, my friend dan was a close approximation of an ogre, and we played baseball a bit. mostly rugby though.
think shaved gorilla and you're close. ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Grayzzur

Did it in 11:28.0, no bertha, no thor. Neither are really needed. The bertha might be nice to leave in for some players though.

The pitcher is great! One point of asthetics though, is you can select that CRPL core and change it's default image in the GUI to the  CustomSporeTower image so the player doesn't see the CRPL Core default image during the opening text. A minor thing though.

The opening text is good, the game plays nicely. The energy at the start gives you plenty to work with to build a defensible outfield quickly. The more experienced players won't find a ton of challenge in the opening, but I'm sure they'll have a blast trying to speed-run it.

Glad you found another way to use my generic crpl spore tower. That's what it's out there for!
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Jopsy

Thanks for the great feedback you all!   
* Thor removed
* Pitcher now has different firing sound and a custom image (edited from a screenshot of the "Credits" map. ;))
* Expanded the anti-aircraft field to cover the infield
* Removed the AET from each dugout (replaced them with bertha tech artifacts, just for fun)

And the map is now in Colonial Space!

Already have a new/different map in progress... but it's going to require a bit more CRPL for the runners!  =D

stdout

I look forward to your next one.