Score for a new map

Started by Xylnalya, January 05, 2011, 04:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xylnalya

Right, didn't write anything for ... quite a while.
I can't stand playing my own maps, so I'd appreciate if a player could do this score thingy for me; The map's attached. It aims for an 'expert only' rating.

Karsten (or possibly Virgil who's got the possibilities to do this), I'd also ask to remove my map 'Deception'.

Regards,
- Xyl

Grauniad

Hello Xylnalya, yes, it has been almost 9 months since you last posted.  :)

Karsten is on kind of a sabbatical, and I'm substituting on map approvals, etc.  Virgil has opted not to delete old maps, since later maps have been released to mark specific milestones (such as the 3,000th map, etc.) and those maps will lose their position if older maps are removed. So I'm afraid your scoreless map will have to stand. :(

It did look quite interesting and I've tried (and failed) to play it.  Maybe someone more skilled can actually beat it - there are a number of very skilled players around.

Good luck on your latest map. I must warn you that another player tried what you have done, and his map got hijacked and submitted under another name, so you may want to consider that if you post a map that you spent considerable time/effort on. It caused us quite a lot of work to restore the map to the rightful owner.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Xylnalya

I have read about that and I couldn't care less if someone uploads it under their name. Knowing the truth and uploading it under mine is enough for me.
Shmucks 'bout Deception though.

Blaze

Something good came out of it though, the second version is much better in my eyes.
I'll try to beat it, but if it is more for expert only, then I can't promise I can beat it.

ontheworld

let's see if we can get upperKEES on bith of those maps... ;)

Sqaz

This map is too long for me, it took me 20 minutes to get that Sam tech and after that it's just building a whole lot of blasters and slogging it out, and I mean really slogging since none of those emitters are cappable.

I like the start, but after that I just don't find myself able to continue-on, if you'd have just made that 1,2 emitter cappable I wouldn't mind the rest, but knowing you'll need to cross half the map again doesn't appeal to me.

Edit; btw, if there's someone that's the opposite of me, who finds the start too hard and the rest doable, I'd be happy to help.

Xylnalya

I'm rather interested in how you played the start out Sqaz. I usually get the SAMs pretty fast o.O

Blaze

I'm sorry, I can only reach a foothold and begin a stalemate, I can't get any further.
I'm going to try again with a different approach, but again, no promises.

Edit: Nope, Got a good foothold, forgot to build SAMs until the last minute, and while trying to recover from the deficit, the Survivor blew up.
Too hard for me, sorry.

Sqaz

Quote from: Xylnalya on January 06, 2011, 03:51:12 PM
I'm rather interested in how you played the start out Sqaz. I usually get the SAMs pretty fast o.O

Just started on the plateau with the two cappable emitters then build up while using blasters to deal with the spores and then eventually get past the two non-cappable emitters and get the SAM.

How did you do it then actually? Get the SAM tech first?

Xylnalya

I too go for the plateu, but I usually get the mortar and the SAM tech first by flying the city around a bit and building two collectors. The mortar than obsolates any but two blasters you need for a stalemate and helps keep down the deficit until I massed up reactors.
*edit*
For 'capping' the minor of the two emitters you can actually use the mortar, sort of, if you place it directly above the emitter. The mortar will wear down pretty fast and it's pretty energy inefficient, but it saves the hassle to build the first blaster if you actually go for both mortar and SAM with the city. The spores must be rather devestating without SAMs for 20 minutes into the game?

Sqaz

Quote from: Xylnalya on January 07, 2011, 05:35:30 AM
For 'capping' the minor of the two emitters you can actually use the mortar, sort of, if you place it directly above the emitter. The mortar will wear down pretty fast and it's pretty energy inefficient, but it saves the hassle to build the first blaster if you actually go for both mortar and SAM with the city. The spores must be rather devestating without SAMs for 20 minutes into the game?

Nah, blasters do the job well enough, never had any spore problems. I thought getting the tech would stop me from getting the north plattern above the city safe, but it seems it's better not to capture that?

Xylnalya

North plattern above the city? Do you mean the area west of the pod or west of the mortar?

Sqaz

Xylnalya

That emitter is the last to start pumpin'. Shouldn't be a problem.