Started by AutoPost, March 30, 2023, 06:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #10596: 150-Open Range

Author: Rennervate / AlexX
Size: 255x255

Desc:

D0m0nik

Wow, tough start! Just as you think you've cracked it everything closes in! Just died at the 19min mark after numerous restarts. Love it!

D0m0nik

Gosh darn drat (toned down for the internet) What use is 18 aether??? 18!

rennervate

In our village it was "Number 18 Day". So in honor of that great number...
-------------------------------------------------------
aka: AlexX

rennervate

getting more aether is not that hard. in the corners you can easily get to aether. i must have overlooked some approach though... lumpik has a time in the scores that i can only explain to myself that he found a better/faster way to complete the map than i planned.
i didn't think this game was so difficult that only a few players could score. actually you just have to stay away from the bugs in the beginning. I originally played the map with only 6 mortars. But I thought this would be too difficult and installed several more... was probably a misjudgment

yak

i tried few times, but couldnt defend the landing zone.
fortunately with some effort
Spoiler
i made myself better landing zone
[close]

D0m0nik

That was by far your hardest map and not just for the first 10 minutes, I was on the edge for about 40 mins game time.
I could not see any holes or shortcuts (apart from collecting the few aether pick ups), 1hr30 is achieved by just being fully on the throtle for the full map and if you are using the pause here and there that takes about 4 to 5 hrs. I'm knackered which is unusual for a map!
Great work, it's very impressive that you were even able to make this. As I (amongst others) may have said before, I can't imagine how you can test such a map?!

rennervate

Thank you for your kind words :-)

as is customary in my job, i first draw the outline of the map. then I design the start and test it. then come the difficulties outside the starting area. until then everything without spors. then I play the map and adjust something. I write down the times when you have some air to breathe. in these times i include the potential impact of spors. that's all.
in this map i originally didn't have the 2 air exclusion zones in the starting area and much less weapon availability. but I found that too tedious and added it. that's all. sometimes it works - sometimes not. I found this map relatively easy. i think for you it was just difficult because you are the fastest player ever and here the game speed makes the gameplay more difficult.

I would be interested in your gameplay. with many maps i don't pay attention to the time at all. I tried my best here - but I'm very far away from your time. I think I'm choosing a wrong/slower path and missing something...

D0m0nik

I saved over most of my early saves unfortunately.
The below one at 12 mins, I had just built the forge. I then concentrated on getting a guppy ready to collect the aether so took out 2 air exclusions.
the next 40 mins or so were very slow, just pushing out and slowly adding reactors without upsetting bugs until
I was ready. The upgrades went energy up to 80 then fire rate but not range.
The second image shows my path. Yellow, green, orange, red. I was careful not to touch the bottom two digitalis areas with deep creep unitl the last move. For progressing round the board I used as many PZ strafers as possible, in large numbers they are very powerful.

Are you in similar positions at each time frame?

Weasee

You know, just saying: the starting area would be enough for a full level!!!

I also found it pretty slow going. First screenshot is at about 45 mins, having cleared the inner area. I used terps to slowly expand, I prefer cannons in the constrained environments because they are faster to build, but maybe they use too much energy, for not much gain. D0m0nik, you seem to prefer mortars?

Next is half an hour later (game time), managed to kill the first layer of bugs and started on next layer. I didn't find the depth of the creeper too bad here, just started on the top left as a random starting point. But then it was bed time, and I couldn't face going any further!!

The main trick for me was to make sure the mortars weren't too close to the bugs, they are very heavily loaded bugs... :)

Weasee

also, I am curious as to why you have the green walls in the corners (on the digi); I couldn't see how delaying the digi advance there could be used at all?

Or is it just to make it look fancy ? :-)

D0m0nik

I always prefer mortors to cannons, I find them much more efficient when dealing with deep creeper. I only built cannons here for holding back digitalis.
Also that top left corner you have taken, it was easily the hardest of the 4 so all down hill form here ;-)

rennervate

Quote from: D0m0nik on April 01, 2023, 08:59:11 AMI saved over most of my early saves unfortunately.
The below one at 12 mins, I had just built the forge. I then concentrated on getting a guppy ready to collect the aether so took out 2 air exclusions.
the next 40 mins or so were very slow, just pushing out and slowly adding reactors without upsetting bugs until I was ready. The upgrades went energy up to 80 then fire rate but not range.
The second image shows my path. Yellow, green, orange, red. I was careful not to touch the bottom two digitalis areas with deep creep unitl the last move. For progressing round the board I used as many PZ strafers as possible, in large numbers they are very powerful.
Are you in similar positions at each time frame?

Thank you for your remarks. I assume that the procedure is similar (unfortunately I can't distinguish between yellow, green and orange) - you're just faster :-).

I hardly use the pause button and I'm too stupid to fight on many fronts at the same time.
you are the master!

rennervate

Quote from: Weasee on April 01, 2023, 08:18:28 PMYou know, just saying: the starting area would be enough for a full level!!!
I also found it pretty slow going. First screenshot is at about 45 mins, having cleared the inner area. I used terps to slowly expand, I prefer cannons in the constrained environments because they are faster to build

same here - I clearly lack motivation to play the map again...
:-)