Custom Map #1902: Under New Management. By: Gotha

Started by AutoPost, March 08, 2023, 12:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1902: Under New Management

Author: Gotha
Size: 296x216

Desc:
Galcorp transfers a young but talented commander from Peacekeeping over to their Redacted Space Reclamation Force (RSRF) and is given his first task, Clearing out an old military base from Pirates, However far more is going on here. (New storyline, Unrelated to old content in terms of storyline but same overall lore, Hope you enjoy <3)

Gotha

Dev insight time! lets go
So haven't made a map in a good long while, primarily just because the last map had a few fun quirky game engine bugs pop up that made progress in it very very annoying and time consuming to the point that a single edit could take several minutes to actually do

So figured, eh, start fresh? but same lore so i can reuse ship designs and concepts i'm happy with but never got to show off

Gameplay wise this actually isn't the first level i've made since my last upload but those are later on in the story, as for this one i did want to set everything outside of the base to not be required for the mission complete but alas the game said no, repeatedly actually no matter what i did :T

Gimmick is just limited energy range/Turrets that are forever online, The energy range issue having two answers (Drone ship or Amp gem) and the turrets having a key weakness of priority targeting mire above all else, making a single omni very useful against them!

Story wise i actually wrote it after the level was completely done, i had the gameplay but i was hitting a stone wall on how to start the story and leave enough to keep interest without going balls to the wall on things (Granted, challenge being i desire a shorter series of levels overall so the story has to be fast but not too fast, etcetc)

But i had a night i couldn't sleep and just went ham on writing up a majority of the lines, then tinkered and refined it over the following few days until the final product

Ultimately happy with it, should be a fun challenge for those who want it!

Next level will involve many many new ship designs :P