Started by Karsten75, January 02, 2010, 06:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Can we have a sticky here (and a rule) that says you cannot submit a map that you as the author cannot conquer? TO prove it, you should submit a screen copy of the map as Odin City departs with your map to Virgil?

I'm thinking that many map authors are just making maps that even they themselves have no clue how to beat.

knucracker

I've started to wonder the same thing....
In fact I know I am getting some maps from people who don't even have the full game and therefore can't play the maps.  They just guess at what they will play like.  The most obvious ones I throw out.... but I have let a few slip by.

I'll start by stating a rule on the upload page... if the rule isn't good enough, I'll have to do something to better enforce rules for quality maps.

Aurzel

it's only fair, afterall we can't expect virgil to play test every map he receives, he's only a lowly demi-god

TheBuilder

i think virgil shuoldl have more respect than that, i mean here he IS god, lolz. :D
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Aurzel

i've done the maths, he falls just short of god status :P
anyways back on topic

TheBuilder

well  :P to u too aurzel, though bein able to make topics sticky would be nice.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Hushkadush

I have to agree. I think that too many people are just making maps and throwing them out for the public without even trying it on their own. I would say the screen shot rule should be mandatory or get more beta-testers to check the maps for Verg.

Capn Trey

Maybe after you get a few maps approved you can go on a short list of pre-approved map makers?

If people don't have the full version they shouldn't have the map maker.

Kamron3

Quote from: Capn Trey on January 11, 2010, 04:44:16 PM
Maybe after you get a few maps approved you can go on a short list of pre-approved map makers?

If people don't have the full version they shouldn't have the map maker.

I already suggested that idea, got shot down though.

_k

Capn Trey

I just don't do a lot of screen caps so wanted to avoid it. Perhaps there is a way the .cwm file could contain a record of it being beaten before? I dunno I'm not a programmer.

Sniper

Strict rules are the way which can have also negative impacts - it will reduce bad maps, but also some good ones (w.g. there are people who will not do added work just form laziness and still can do good maps).

For me more interesting way is to have categories in download - recommended / tested / new maps.

Recommended maps are the best one chosen by people from this forum - maps which have some interesting features.

Tested maps are maps which were tested and "approved" by at least one member of the forum who posted comment (with neutral or positive valuation).

New maps are not tested and anyone can try and be the first to give feedback ;-)

This is not negative to map creators, it makes the job proposed in this thread and motivates users to put comments to maps ;-)
If you think noone watchs you, my agents will get bonus.

Capn Trey

I guess submitting a screen cap of the the final screen with the chart would be the best way to go.

BUT to make it safe you would need to have the name of the level embedded on that chart which it currently isn't. Otherwise you could submit a final screen from a different level and submit a map you have never beaten.