Bug report: Mouse wheel, scrolling

Started by Crimson King, September 16, 2016, 01:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson King

I'm not sure if this is just my system acting up, but I have a come across a couple of possible bugs.

Issue 1: Mouse wheel options. Have set the mouse wheel to anything other than zooms/rotates and the next time the game is started or a mission is loaded the zooms/rotates option is checked again. Have had this happen every time I change the option.

Issue 2: Scrolling inside the game resolution drop downs. Using the mouse wheel to scroll through the list of resolutions is really slow. Grabbing the slider works as expected. There may be other places where this happens.

Karsten75

Quote from: Crimson King on September 16, 2016, 01:48:04 PM
Issue 2: Scrolling inside the game resolution drop downs. Using the mouse wheel to scroll through the list of resolutions is really slow. Grabbing the slider works as expected. There may be other places where this happens.

This is a Unity "feature" - the default scroll is one pixel. Virgil has to hunt each scroll occurrence down and manually change it.

knucracker

For issue 1, I'm not reproducing it easily.
After you make a change, take a look at this file:
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\My Games\particlefleet\settings\controls.xml
You'll find an entry like this:
<wheel>2</wheel>

That number represents which item you have checked.  See if it changes whenever you update the settings in the game.

Now if you don't have that file at all, that would explain the issue.  The controls.xml file isn't able to be written out for some reason.

dhc

On the topic of the mouse - there are times when I click on the map to move it around and the mouse 'doesn't let go' and I cannot easily get it to release the map.

Turning off the mouse zoom option helps.

I'll try to look for a pattern and provide more details later.

Update:  Good News - it looks like it was a mouse issue.  Carry on.

Crimson King

The controls.xml file is there and it is being changed when I update the settings in the game.

I have attached a screenshot of what I get when I view the setting after making the change and restarting the game or loading a map. Returning to the main menu or restarting a second time unchecks the option that I choose.

P.S. This isn't a huge issue for me if it can't be fixed, but there is a good chance that I won't be the only one with the issue once the game releases. ;)

knucracker

Well I can't reproduce it in my working build.  But, I can fire up beta 15 on steam and see the same thing you see.  So I must have fixed this already and it got pushed out of my head by the avalanche of other things, or I accidentally fixed it (right....), or there's a poltergeist at work.

dhc

I'm able to reproduce this behavior on Beta 17. 

When I change the mouse wheel setting from Zoom/Rotate to Rotate the wheel setting in the xml file changes to a 2.  I then exit the game and restart. 

The setting in the xml file remains a 2 at restart and doesn't change until I click the Controls tab in the settings menu.  At that point, the setting is changed to a 3 and both the Rotates and Zoom/Rotates boxes are checked.

I can change the option back to Rotate and the setting isn't affected by subsequent clicks on the Control tab during that game session.  If I exit, restart and click the Controls tab the first time the pattern repeats.

knucracker

Well...Only happens in the steam version.  So poltergeist it is.

That explains why I have not seen it... I do most of my testing in the dev environment.  Now to figure out how to exorcise this thing....

dhc

If it helps - Steam overlay is off and Steam cloud sync is on.
Turning off the cloud sync didn't seem to make a difference.

knucracker

I think it was a race condition.... I seem to have it fixed in a steam build I did and tested.  We'll see if beta 18 holds up...

Crimson King

It appears that beta 18 fixed the issue with the mouse wheel options.

I'll keep an eye out for other places that the scroll needs changed.

Thank you. :)