Bug with Exchange

Started by Laithaldien, September 17, 2016, 07:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laithaldien

I'm having some issues with Exchange:

1. All my favorites are gone (unchecked) somehow.

Mark favorite, click play, abort. Favorite is unchecked again.
Mark favorite, leave game, start game. Favorite is unchecked again.
Maybe due to some server issues?

2. Map #3
Beat it, tried to submit score, but server had some issues at that time.
Now my time doesn't show up and I can't submit it again. Maybe after beating it a second time, but didn't save.

knucracker

Check your log file... that's always the best first place to start.  It may indicate some exception.
https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21330.0

The log gets cleared each time you start the game so repro the problem, then exit the game and make a copy of the log.

Favorites are locally stored here:
c:\Users\virgilw\Documents\My Games\particlefleet\exchange\favorites.dat
Send me that file or check that it exists and is writable, and not zero.

Laithaldien

Hm ... favorites.dat (and everything else) somehow really was write protected. I changed that, but now I have a different problem:

Favorites (#2, #3, #32) are still unmarked as before on start, but the game actually remembers them.
It just refuses to show them (load favorites.dat?) unless I favorite any map.

knucracker

Do you still have a filter applied to show only favorited maps?
If you don't see that in the UI then you can look in the settings file to see what it says:
"c:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\My Games\particlefleet\settings\GameSettings.xml"
Look for this line:
<mh_favoriteFilter>False</mh_favoriteFilter>

How do you reckon that directory ended up write protected?  Must have been some other software or service that swept over the files or something.  Make sure that GameSettings file isn't write protected, else you won't be able to change any setting from the way it is.  You might want to just rename it and let the game make a fresh one from scratch.

Laithaldien

No idea about the write protection ...

I usually have no filters applied.

However, applying the favorites filter (or starting the game with it checked) correctly shows the maps.
Guess not really a bug, just unexpected behavior.

This just leaves the score submitting bug. I'll probably play that map again tomorrow and see if I can repost.

knucracker

Normally after playing a mission and not submitting a score you can go back to the launch screen for the mission again (click like you are going to play it).  At the bottom of the launch screen is the score table and you will be able to submit your unsubmitted score.  But, if your files were write protected then when you completed the mission the game probably couldn't record you score locally... so you might have to play the mission again,

Laithaldien

Looks like I'm not the only one with that problem