The Winter of my discontent

Started by Karsten75, April 10, 2016, 10:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Actually the planet Winter in the Tormented Zone sector 200-118. Few people have done it. Anyone here want to try it and give me a few hints? I've tried about 15 times, varying tactics with no success. Best I managed was to last 12-odd minutes before drowning.

Attaching sector map to help in locating it.

khanjar24

Hi, I post my times under the name JB, and this is a hard map which requires heavy next frame/heavy pause use.
I would start down here on the right side of the mount.
Avoid the runner lanes and their range until you're stable, with positive energy going towards reactors and after you've gotten a forge and are probably somewhere past energy 3
I didn't get plop a forge down until a little over 2 minutes in, using next frame to have absolute control of energy. I'd recommend that or later.
I shouldn't have tried to get the ore mine apparently until you have control of the 8 height that it's at, ~+12 or more energy. It's really important to balance energy so that you are always just barely negative.

Screenshots taken at 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes. At about 4 minutes I was stable, but lost a key collector which would've heavily damaged my time and had suboptimal placement on others so I restarted. Pic 4 was that run for the high score. I ended up losing control of most below 8 height on the left side but I think after like 1 minute or something you'll have gained net energy off of the sacrifices. Blood for the blood god. Pic 5 was that at 6 minutes.
After that, went for high energy and then Bertha's as is my standard strat, because Bertha's >>> Everything.

Karsten75

I might give it another try. Thanks a bunch.