Downloading maps

Started by Karsten75, December 29, 2009, 01:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Do I have to download each map or can I download a package of all maps or a series of maps like i see ppl talk about Crescent, si if I want the series of Crescent maps can i download those as a package?

Aurzel

atm all you can do is download each map seperately

knucracker

I'm trying to make some improvements to the map page as the number of maps grow.  I just added the author drop-down the other day (so you can at least find your favorite author and see just their maps).  So if you wanted to grab all of the maps in a series you can select the author from that combobox and just his/her maps will be shown.

I could also add a big button to grab everything as a huge zip file.... but then everybody would be downloading all of the maps over and over again and my bandwidth bills would go up even higher.

We talked earlier about having other filters for maps (based on attributes).  The single most important atttribute is probably "member of a series X".  So it would be nice if I had another combo box that listed all of the 'series' and let you filter just on those.  This would be really nice for the series maps, but it would also be perhaps too strong of an incentive for developers to only make incentive maps.  The stand-alone maps would sorta get left out.  So I decided to just add the author filter for now since that lets you get to a series by an author, but also see any stand-alone maps they have created.

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on December 29, 2009, 10:11:58 AM

I could also add a big button to grab everything as a huge zip file.... but then everybody would be downloading all of the maps over and over again and my bandwidth bills would go up even higher.

Since we already have to register and sign up for this forum, perhaps you could limit the bulk download of maps to once per month for registered users? Should help with your bandwidth bills, or you could even charge; $5 through PayPal? I'll pay that rather than have to sit here and dredge thu all the maps.

Alwego

Quote from: virgilw on December 29, 2009, 10:11:58 AM
[...]

[...]

You worried about malicious use of the traffic limit?
IMO malicious person will be download game file (22 MB).

One map is a <5 kb. Most people every day download new map and only new players will be download a mappacks (1-2 MB).

Karsten75

OK, one more map issue. A search option so I can search for something in the 14 pages of maps.

Aurzel

you can search by author now

Karsten75

Quote from: Aurzel on December 30, 2009, 06:36:20 AM
you can search by author now

Big whoop. I'd like to search on the name of a map, for instance, so if someone has created 20 maps I can search for that map. Also, the drop-down of the names are not even alphabetical, but seemingly random.

knucracker

I'll try to get a search implemented.... it makes sense.
The order of the dropdown is by number of maps posted, then by most recent post.

So the author at the top will have posted the most maps, etc.  When there is a tie (for instance all of the people who have posted only 1 map), they are ordered by how recent the map is.  The person at the top of the "1"'s will have posted their map most recently.

Aurzel

that's good, it would actually solve the campaigns being out of order, if someone likes a campaign they can search the general name

SPIFFEN

Again im sorry , but i couldnt find what im looking for .
How do i use the downloaded maps ?
I have downloaded an map and my computer cant open it ,
i tryed to serch for adobe air , but it did'nt find it .
Is there an main thred somewhere with an guide to solve this kind of an problem ?
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

SPIFFEN

AH sorry , i just found out what i did wrong =P
I only had to import the map from the game ,
so if i/you remeber where the save is , it should'nt be a problem .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

TheBuilder

heres teh porccess short and sweet:

1st, make a new folderin teh C drive (creeper world maps)

2nd, when u down load or save a map, save them in the folder u made for them

3rd, when importing or uploading, use this folder as well
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."