Grabber alignment/targeting

Started by Shrike30, November 25, 2015, 04:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrike30

The Grabber's current ability to send streams of particles towards victory (!) appears to rely on the player setting it's heading correctly.  While this is not a big deal on a smaller map, if there's any plan to make maps the size of the largest CW3 maps having ships that only rotate to significant fractions of 360 degrees will make precision application over long distances difficult.

If a function is added to the Grabber module for precise targeting along the lines of how Berthas target (user clicks where they want the stream to end up), and then either the ship rotates to that exact heading or the module on the ship is given some freedom of rotation to correct for those last few degrees of precise alignment, that'd make Grabbers easily scale to pretty much whatever size of map you want to make, and make fiddling with ship alignment a bit less of a deal.

knucracker

Something like this... yes... I have to do I think.  The fixed rotation angles work great most of the time for most ships since you want fast rotation but exact rotation isn't important.  On that grabber small rotation differences amplify at distance...

Katra

There is always the option to relay particles from one grabber to another and aim using a unit near the front line. Advantage: faster response when you need to change targets. Disadvantage: More units to build/manage.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Nicant

I don't exactly know, but maybe having a ship with a grabber on the emitter and another ship (w/ grabber) in front of the ship may increase the accuracy. 
CW4 hype!!