An idea for a new weapon.

Started by Ninja, October 31, 2015, 03:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja

A few days ago, I commented about a new idea for a weapon. This weapon would be similar to the Dark Beam in CW2, but it wouldn't be nearly as overpowered, taking around half a second or more of exposure to this laser in order for a particle to be destroyed. It would require the ship it is firing from to be completely still and remain so for however long the laser was fired, and it would fire out a number of cells to be determined by Virgil, and then keep firing for 1-5 seconds (again, to be determined by V). During that time, the laser and the ship would be locked in place. Due to that, this would likely be a player aimed weapon, not used by AI. I have created a visual aid to kind of help get the idea across. If you have any unanswered questions, please ask and I will do my best to respond.

Note: Credit to Nicant for the inspiration for this idea.

warren

I really like games that have this kind of weapon customization in them. I have seen a couple TD games where one or several of the weapons had to be manually aimed. Although I do think the primary reason the dark beam was awesome were the mirrors. Games with mirrors are all awesome. ALL OF THEM!

I also like games where one or several of the weapons have a slider that adjusts between one strength and another strength (like the force beams in CW2), although this is really rare. One thing I do not like is weapons which simply follow the mouse pointer. That is simply annoying.

Ninja

Quote from: warren on November 01, 2015, 08:01:10 AM
I really like games that have this kind of weapon customization in them. I have seen a couple TD games where one or several of the weapons had to be manually aimed. Although I do think the primary reason the dark beam was awesome were the mirrors. Games with mirrors are all awesome. ALL OF THEM!

I also like games where one or several of the weapons have a slider that adjusts between one strength and another strength (like the force beams in CW2), although this is really rare. One thing I do not like is weapons which simply follow the mouse pointer. That is simply annoying.
Mostly agreed on the weapons that follow the mouse pointer thing.
But just to be clear, my idea is that you would select the weapon, point it somewhere, click it to start firing, and then it would stay pointing in that one direction until it stops firing.

steelwing

Quote from: Ninja on November 01, 2015, 11:07:11 AM
But just to be clear, my idea is that you would select the weapon, point it somewhere, click it to start firing, and then it would stay pointing in that one direction until it stops firing.
So, like the "Bertha" cannons in CW3?  I love those, as long as they're a stationary installation.  Makes no sense to me to have a weapon like that be mobile.

Nicant

CW4 hype!!

Ninja

Quote from: Nicant on November 02, 2015, 03:11:47 PM
I'm glad you loved my idea!  :)
Me too.
Oh btw, I didn't think about giving you credit for the inspiration, so I fixed that. :)

Vanguard

So far, all the ships seem highly mobile.

I am not sure how a stationary weapon would fit into the gameplay.

Don´t get me wrong, I am all for lasers - I just don´t get the feel for the weapon.

steelwing

There are a few installations in Particle Fleet that are stationary, like the energy production facilities and the harvesters that produce whatever V is calling technology points.  This would simply be one more such installation.  Like the Bertha cannons of CW3, this laser cannon would be immobile, but like the "dark beam" CW2, the laser could be turned on and off and would fire only in a straight line.  It's not a bad idea, as long as it's not OP.  I always found the dark beam to be impractical even when it was available.  Even for its heavy damage, it costs entirely too much energy to use except in short bursts.

Ninja

Quote from: steelwing on November 05, 2015, 08:14:05 AM
There are a few installations in Particle Fleet that are stationary, like the energy production facilities and the harvesters that produce whatever V is calling technology points.  This would simply be one more such installation.  Like the Bertha cannons of CW3, this laser cannon would be immobile, but like the "dark beam" CW2, the laser could be turned on and off and would fire only in a straight line.  It's not a bad idea, as long as it's not OP.  I always found the dark beam to be impractical even when it was available.  Even for its heavy damage, it costs entirely too much energy to use except in short bursts.
Perhaps that would work better than my idea, but I did think it would be mounted on a ship.
The idea is, the ship could move wherever, but as soon as you wanted to fire the laser, the ship would become stationary for the duration of the laser firing.

Nicant

Quote from: Ninja on November 06, 2015, 02:11:52 PM
Perhaps that would work better than my idea, but I did think it would be mounted on a ship.
The idea is, the ship could move wherever, but as soon as you wanted to fire the laser, the ship would become stationary for the duration of the laser firing.
Or have the laser have a range limit. like it won't go all the way across the map and only damages the doppel/particle like you said and not instant kill it. And the ship would still be mobile.
It would work much like the flame thrower things in super mario that you see below.
Edit: So to speak, it would have a range limit and would only go so far. It would do more damage the closer the doppel/particle is to the beam. Effectively, this would act like a melee type weapon.
Edit2: And it would only face one direction.
CW4 hype!!

Ninja

Quote from: Nicant on November 11, 2015, 07:17:39 PM
Quote from: Ninja on November 06, 2015, 02:11:52 PM
Or have the laser have a range limit. like it won't go all the way across the map and only damages the Doppel/particle like you said and not instant kill it. And the ship would still be mobile.
It would work much like the flame thrower things in super Mario that you see below.
Edit: So to speak, it would have a range limit and would only go so far. It would do more damage the closer the Doppel/particle is to the beam. Effectively, this would act like a melee type weapon.
Edit2: And it would only face one direction.
Yeah, I was thinking it would have a range limit. The idea is, you would mount it as a turret on a ship. Drive that ship somewhere. Point that turret in one direction. The laser starts firing for say five seconds, and while it is firing, you cannot move the ship or the turret. After five seconds, it stops firing and you can move the ship and the turret again. If you want to fire it again, the ship and turret will remain still.