Game mode idea

Started by agordon44, March 25, 2015, 12:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agordon44

Just a thought. I have really loved the play as creeper game mode that is in CW3. What if you built a seperate campaign and more tools for play as creeper. I know it might mess with storyline but I would love to see it.

Epic4242

I'm sure it will eventually happen through PRPL (assuming that PRPL will be acceptable by us humble consumers). Maybe Virgil will do a Starcraft-esque thing where we can play as the particles (Zerg)

ghostwalker13

Well i was thinking:

What if Game 4 could be played multiplayer. Either 2 people fight each other with their forces, or 1 person be the particle controller and the other be the defender fleet.
Keeping in mind, what I mean by multiplayer means 2-players+.

Just some ideas.

Note:
If the 2 fleets fight, each ship part of their forces are either coloured red or blue.

Hope you like my ideas.

J

From a developer perspective, multiplayer can be done in many forms and they all come with a lot of problems, some more than others. Live pvp battling can be done, but will be much harder when the connection isn't good (out of sync problems and such). Pausing won't be allowed and that will give a lot of complaints. Turn based might be a bit easier code-wise (no need to think about connection speed), but this game simply isn't turn based. Since Virgil is working on this game alone, someone must come with a great idea (low risk / high reward), or multiplayer just won't make it into the game.

Quote from: ghostwalker13 on July 09, 2015, 12:33:36 PM
If the 2 fleets fight, each ship part of their forces are either coloured red or blue.
If we could target enemy ships like if they were particles and we could create anti-particles...

Asbestos

Maybe instead of pausing, the players can vote for a temporary truce, which lasts 30 seconds, and all of the fleets' weapons are disabled during that time. But moving and building and such are not paused, so you can execute short moves and build a few things, or start long moves and get a head start on large buildings. But at least three fourths of the players have to vote yes (or in the case of two or three players, all two or three players must vote yes) to start the truce.

thejoe66

If there was multiplayer wouldn't virgilw need to get his own servers? For an indie developer that would be expensive and from my understanding a huge pain in the ass to get running correctly.
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

pawel345

Well in theory it could be hosted on the players computers. But it seems that programming it correctly is hard and making sure the connections can't be abused harder..

rekrab

I agree!!
Well i was thinking:

What if Game 4 could be played multiplayer. Either 2 people fight each other with their forces, or 1 person be the particle controller and the other be the defender fleet.
Keeping in mind, what I mean by multiplayer means 2-players+.

Just some ideas.

Note:

Hope you like my ideas.
and it should be for cw3 2.

miquelfire

Thanks to a Game Theory video I watched, I think we need to stop using the colors red and blue for multiplayer games, as the color could affect the outcome on a mental level.

warren

When a client acts as a server it is known as peer to peer. It is even possible to have a server free game hookup using an ip lookup service and having user's enter each other's ips into a form. However, the load of a server matchmaker service is around that of a chat service or the colonial space and score server, but can eat a lot of hours to write.

When it comes to implementing multiplayer, the difficulty comes from the fact that the same exact game needs to be implemented on two machines. Possibly one of the simplest ways to do this is to transmit the mouse and keyboard events of one player to the other, and have an input delay of a few frames to eat the connection latency. By allowing both computers to recieve the same mouse and keyboard commands at the same time, the same game is generated. If the commands from the other computer are late, the game will slow down. Care has to be paid to ensure that the random number seeds are the same on both machines.

Asbestos

Maybe yellow and red? They're different enough to be told apart from each other, aren't affected by colorblindness (as far as I know) and both contrast against the black void of space.

Qwerty Quazo

Quote from: agordon44 on March 25, 2015, 12:45:57 PM
What if you built a seperate campaign and more tools for play as creeper.

well, as i saw in the last videos, it might be fun, but what will you do? Command particles to go there and there? That will mess up the fields. Command the ships? Not the best idea. Both? Maybe fun.
The brain is complicated. Use it or lose it.

ghostwalker13

In response to miquelfire, I'm going to say:

Maybe we SHOULD go with Red and Blu(Blue) , because it just looks better...

:P