The fields

Started by pawel345, February 14, 2015, 04:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawel345

In the new video you show us fields in the game, they seem of the type like in CW, that is local on that cell. Are there option to do some global fields as well or do such things have to be done manually or via something akin to CRPL for the new game?(i think you mentioned that something like that will be included?)
Also can you define any direction of the field or only discrete directions?

Is it possible to define points of attraction/repulsion like the player ships attract the particles? And would an option to view the strength of the attraction towards the ships when viewing the fields overlay?

On another note nice to see that the ships have each component destroyed individually and that you can rotate the ships :D And cool to see that the colour of the particle reflects it's velocity. Also the new way of base upgrades looks much better and clearer.

Karsten75

How do you see a global field as exerting an influence on particles? How would it be different than a "per cell" field?

Edit: Do you mean global like gravity in CW2?  That may be an interesting idea to prevent having to paint the entire map.

pawel345

Yeah I meant like gravity and such, the difference is only in implementation, if you can define in a point a field of any value and any direction then you just need to calculate the sum of fields form the whole map to get what should have in a set point, just the way you define it would be probably easier for the player/mapmaker if it would be done automatic.

Epic4242

I am wondering if a particle can be affected by mor than one field at a time... Remember that mission in CW3 where there was a planet orbiting and all creeper was attracted to it? I wonder if particles can be attracted to ships and each other and whatnot but ALSO be attracted to something else.

knucracker

Particles are affected by a range of things from individual fields cells the map author can edit, to field cells that are automatically set, to "global" vector fields.  During a particle's update, all of these forces move a particle around so there could in theory be any number.  In practice, the number of possible forces that affect the particle are kept to a minimum since each takes some time and that time is multiplied by the number of particles times the updates per second (30).

But yeah, a global vector is one of the easiest things to do and it adds minimal time to the per particle calculations.  Global fields are like gravity and apply to all particles everywhere and push in the same direction.

pawel345

But the individual fields in cells can be of any direction or just up,down right, left?

knucracker

Yep, they are vectors expressed as some amount in the X and some amount in the Y direction.  So with that any force can be expressed in any direction.

pawel345

Then great :D This should allow for some really interesting mapmaking concepts :D Can't w8 for it.

Hubs

Any chance the vectors will be changable during game play through PRPL?

knucracker

Yep, they already are :)