Had other thoughts...

Started by Flash1225, January 19, 2015, 07:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flash1225

I didn't expect you to already be working on a 4th game. I seriously had other ideas on a 4th game...

So some of us have played CW1. But, to those who've played the whole series, CW1 seems a little, how should I put this... drab. Now don't get me wrong, when you first play CW1, the concept is cool and all, but, when you play CW2 and 3, your original opinion on CW1 changes to that feeling that it's plain. So I figured, hey, why not "remake" game 1? You know, add, change, and remove a bunch of things. It could work as well for CW2!
Considering how many turns my life has taken (good and bad), I'm still fairly neutral to it all. I take the hits, I don't react overly.

Asbestos

CW3 is already a remake of CW. CW2 wasn't quite as popularly received as the others, so there might not be a remake for that. The CW series story has already come to a stop (or a loop, in this case) so there won't be any more, unless we get a spin-off or something like that.

knucracker

There might be more Creeper World games... just not now or next.  I'm sure at some point some new inspiration or technology will strike an interest and CW4 (or some spin off) will happen.  But for now and the next while, I'm kinda digging blowing up evil(or are they) particles by the thousands by fleet ships.

Flash1225

Yeah, it is true that CW3 is basically a remake of CW1 (technically it's the result of combining CW1 and 2), but, seriously, what I'm saying is retain the original play-style, then change a variety of mechanics in the game, such as spores, map size, etc. CW2 might be a bit harder to change into a CW1-style game, but if you think about it, there's one way you can implement the CW2 gameplay into a remake with CW1 play-style. But I can't explain it very well at the moment.
Considering how many turns my life has taken (good and bad), I'm still fairly neutral to it all. I take the hits, I don't react overly.

Anonymeus

For what it's worth - despite its alleged "drabness" - IMHO, CW1 remains the strongest contender in terms of pure tightness of gameplay and (in my experience) replayability. Its very limits are its strengths (both for players and mapmakers).

Added to that, I've always felt the concept of the "nullifier" somehow breaks the game. In CW1 you can never win, only control the situation for long enough to make an exit...  this gives a very special dynamic...

Don't get me wrong, CW2 and  - particularly - CW3 are very cool in their own right... but CW1 comes very close to the perfect game ("easy to learn, hard to master" and (as it has proven) very "community expandable" - say, the bastard child of Tetris and Half-Life 1)...

Whatever shape the new project takes, may it draw on those great strengths...

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Anonymeus on January 23, 2015, 03:41:36 PM

Added to that, I've always felt the concept of the "nullifier" somehow breaks the game. In CW1 you can never win, only control the situation for long enough to make an exit...  this gives a very special dynamic...

Agreed - there was an awesome frantic 'chase' feel to CW1.

You were always on the defensive, always running.

Frankly though, I liked that CW2 introduced the nullifier - it introduced a feeling of hope. Now we could go on the offensive and kick some butt. Never warmed to AC though (with the exception of the C-Bomb!).
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Asbestos

The Creeper World story is very interesting, with all of its history-digging and such, and pretty much the only thing that kept me going through the game, and eventually past Farbor. Plus it's fun to try to find all of the Norse religion references. Hopefully the next game will have that kind of plot. Science fiction setting, mysterious origins of the enemy, ancient superweapons. With a few twists from the standard cliches, of course.

J

You can find what I think about the games mostly in my maps. I often pick one of the core mechanics of the game, come up with a map idea that uses it and then make it as hard as possible while I can still win it without frame-perfect timing. This started with the CW1 map 'creep' but I think the CW2 map C:RoD is the best example. In CW1 it was hard to create such challenges so I also made a lot of other maps. CW2 had fields that allowed me to create 'triggers' and time-based stuff. The terrain in CW2 also allowed me to store infinite amounts of creeper, which could be released at some point. While CW3 is more CW1-like, it has CRPL with which you can create any challenge you want. This however does often not teach the player something about the core mechanics. I found my own map-making challenge in showing people that (between all those 256x256 maps) small maps can be fun. Another good challenge was to build a crpl-based map that forces the player to take a closer look at something that's already in the game without crpl. This map-building style often gives some nice hard puzzle maps, with hopefully multiple solutions.

That said, my biggest wish for game 4 is a good map editor and more parameters for the standard units. ;D

joe130794

maybe a space based game where a race of humans uses ships to fight creeper in space?

4xC

Perhaps the Loki have given up on consistently flooding the whole battlefield with liquid death and have decided to resort to vacuum-proof critters that can attack by the hundreds at once?

Granted other games have used the swarm concept and specifically used "millions/billions" in their descriptions, but they never seem to have more than between 100-200 swarm individuals during actual gameplay (due to technological limitations I imagine).

I count 300 particles tops in the blog clip, and if there are that many, then wow.
C,C,C,C

Ronini

I don't see any reason why this new game couldn't be fitted into the CW story arc. The scale of time and space most certainly gives more than enough room. Judging from the preview video it does feel like a CW game. Although I am pretty excited what epic tale will unfold, either way. Thinking about it, I'd much rather have a new series spawning of a couple of awesome titles than one more CW game.

Btw, it feels great to be back. It's that pre-CW3 release excitement all over again.

Asbestos

A swarm of destructive particles moves across worlds in one of the passing eons between creeper attack, and they are stopped single-handedly by one of the last human-controlled planets. Plot twist: interactive museum gallery, just before a dormant emitter re-activates.

teknotiss

Quote from: J on January 24, 2015, 07:52:48 AM
That said, my biggest wish for game 4 is a good map editor and more parameters for the standard units. ;D

me too! a quality editor is the driving force of great community interactions!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Helper

Quote from: teknotiss on February 20, 2015, 11:02:15 AM
Quote from: J on January 24, 2015, 07:52:48 AM

me too! a quality editor is the driving force of great community interactions!  8)

Concur. Giving the players the ability to create additional games/maps gives them a very real sense of ownership of the entire enterprise.
H