What is KnuckleCracker up to?

Started by stdout, January 19, 2015, 05:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stdout

Looks like the ships have a limited number of slots that you can build in? If so that sounds awesome. Reminds me of the boardgame Eclipse. This definitely looks like it's going to be a super immersive game.

mzimmer74

That looks pretty sweet.  Looking forward to trying it out (and buying it)! :)
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Epic4242

Looks like there are points where you can add either defensive offensive or supportive totem like things. At the end............ The "class c" ship....... Oh my god. My money is ready.

Karsten75

On a point of order, the numbering scheme is wrong.

It's not a Creeper World game, so it can't be game 4 of the liquid simulation.

You published Whiteboard War as well.

So you have already 4 games out there.

That then makes this game 5. Tradition has it that the new game starts at the top of the forum subsections...  You can't break with tradition, not without cause. :)

Epic4242

The name of the forum is just "Game 4" as opposed to "Creeperworld Game 4" or  "Creeperworld 4". I can see how they can be confused but seeing how the forum is used for all Knuckle Cracker games, "Game 4" does not necessarily mean Creeper World.

Also White Board war was a much smaller internet game whereas these games are larger and more awesomer (no offence).

Sorry if that was mean or too much or something. The internet is weird...

But yea!!! Go Knuckle Cracker!!!

P.S. (To Virgil) is it just you (Virgil) making all this amazing crap? How do you manage? Do you need help? If you started a game company and kept it from being corrupt (*cough**cough*ubisoft*cough**cough*) It would be the most wonderful game making company evah!

knucracker

ChopRaider was game 0 (zero).  Like all good developers, I start counting at 0.
As for the group order being near the bottom, that's because it is being bubble sorted... very, very slowly.  It will make its way to the top in time I'm sure... :)

Epic4242

It's too early for a "favorite thing" forum but I just wanted to point out the way the ships turn while moving slowly and then use their engines when the engines would be most efficient and usefull.

Virgil you are a god of game design and programming.
<<emoji for high five>>

Levi

Quote from: Karsten75 on January 19, 2015, 06:52:59 PMIt's not a Creeper World game, so it can't be game 4 of the liquid simulation.

Potentially, the enemy could be the Loki.

Which would make it the fourth game in the Creeperworld universe....

Grayzzur

Quote from: virgilw on January 19, 2015, 08:22:04 PM
ChopRaider was game 0 (zero).  Like all good developers, I start counting at 0.

Owned. Game 4 it is. :)

Looks like it's gonna be another good one, too. I can't wait.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

J

The board group for CW3 was first named 'game 3' if I remember correctly.
Can't wait to see what tricks I can use in the map editor  :D
Game looks good, those ten minutes only felt like three. I hope I can stop playing before my time to make homework runs out.

pawel345

I really look forward to see the more complicated particle structures. How do you simulate them? Since it can't be molecular dynamics?

knucracker

It's a custom physics simulation.  I didn't invent any new magic math, but I did make an engine that is optimized for dealing with only what needs to be dealt with and is "object friendly".  By that I mean that the the runtime doesn't have to deal with lots of dynamic object creation and deletion.  The simulation itself is uses a simple verlet integration at the core, with numerous tweaks to create some behaviors.  There are also several fundamental forces that act on particles.  Thing like attraction to neighbors, repulsion from neighbors, attraction to units or other objects on the map, forces on the map that can affect particles, bonds between particles of varying elasticity, etc. 

The idea was to create a bunch of fundamental rules, then spend months figuring out ones that make for an interesting play space. I've made some interesting discoveries, and more are yet to be made I'm sure.

pawel345

That sounds really cool^^ So for the particles to "attack" player positions there is an attraction force to each of the players objects or just some kind of a global force that attracts them to the energy producing nodes?

Epic4242

Any idea for a name for your enemy?

knucracker

There can be both map global forces and individual attractions per particle.  So a given particle might have a behavior that causes it to want to go someplace.  Alternately, there might be fields on the map that push any particle that wanders by.

Names.... I'm not committing to anything right now.  I have ideas certainly, but I don't want to nail down too much in terms of the game lore and story right now.