Alpha: RunnerUP starting location?

Started by Dragonkat, November 20, 2014, 01:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonkat

Can anyone give not a full spoiler but any advice on how to even start this map? I've tried the bottom right low ground, but i can't seem to build enough collectors even there to escape past the creeper flow, much less prepare for the multiple spore towers that I know would blow a small base off the map. I just end up bottled up. Tried starting in the ore by the totems, but even with a speed built sprayer there's not enough AC to counter emitters much less digitalis.

Any other location seems overwhelmed too fast as well. Kinda at a loss again.

teknotiss

that'd be a redlemon map right?
have to replay, it's been a while since i played this one (ie since we were testing the game ::))
i'll let you know if i can help in a bit  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

teknotiss

i remember!
you need to drop both CN's in the lowest point in the bottom right corner, then build two or three terps and send them up to the middle right ish, where there are two ore mines, to make room for both CN's, that should get you going.
if not give another shout and i'll see about some pics or a step by step
hope that helps  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Dragonkat

Four hours later and change. Didn't start in the upper left, borrowed a tactic I saw elsewhere, and put my turtle terping spin on it.

Spoiler

Rough start. Barely able to keep energy up and had to be real selective on placement and which guns were on. Things went smoother then when I headed south instead of west. And got quite the shock when after all that work to pop runners taking out that central emitter killed the digitalis. (Well that and most of my north west base when creeper came over the wall)

After that minor setback though....

Needless to say I'm a fan of overkill over speed runs. But once the bombers cleared the edge and laid enough AC for node two (with guppy backups for the cannons at first) to land the rest really is just cleanup and pushing forward bit by bit. Though realizing you can indeed use a super relay to link to your main base sped things up. And once you do reach the totems?

Game over, when you can upgrade your AC storage and ore efficiency to mass bombers the rest is a walk in the park, just a matter of laying AC before planting guppies and nullifiers to clear the rest.
[close]

Tjgalon

hmmm, I always start in the lower right and take that node right away, from there I just push forward like normal.