Alpha sector: Aether. Unkillable gliders?

Started by Dragonkat, November 17, 2014, 01:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonkat

Heh three creeper world games, and my first post, hi all!  ;D

That said a quick question as I try my first foray into alpha sector. What is going on with the gliders on this map? I tried building snipers to kill them, noticed like a derp the gliders were at a higher height then my towers. So I made a height 10 platform for them, and yet they still won't target them?

Is this a glitch or intentional map design? Because it's making expanding out of the south a right royal pain.

J

Welcome Dragonkat!

The alpha map you're talking about doesn't allow snipers to shoot at gliders, you must find another way to get rid of them.

Dragonkat

I'm at a loss as to how then, given I can bomb the island where the tower is into oblivion with waves of air units, but every time i guppy build a nullifer a glider comes by and vapes it the second it finishes. Unless i'm missing something CW decided to not mention ever. (See Bertha's in power zones for instance)

Dragonkat

Heh never mind, got it, if barely. Though i'm curious, is there another trick to it past just building 5 nullifier guppy combos at once? And that 5th one barely finishing before the boom?

J

Carefully watch the movement of the gliders and see if you come up with a great idea.
Spoiler
Gliders can only glide on their own terrain height, so you can alter their tracks with a terp to trap them somewhere else. Virgilw posted a video of that on the blog (more than a year ago, so you might need to search a bit).
[close]

Dragonkat

Lol or that.

A bit more subtle then brute build force. And I'll openly admit a tactic I wouldn't have thought of, given my frustration with everything too close to glider rails going boom. Previous tactic was to just kill them all off by suiciding them on a wall of collectors, but realized they respawned too fast, hence plan B.

But that's a good CW map for you (unlike farbor or a speed arca run, I'm a bit in the negative camp on that timed mission business or super pause micromanage perfection) Multiple ways to get around a problem.

iamltr27

Quote from: J on November 17, 2014, 02:54:07 PM
Carefully watch the movement of the gliders and see if you come up with a great idea.

I haven't played that map yet, but thanks for the hint.  I might never have spotted that glider behavior on my own.
[Leroy]

nick

Here's a video if you want to see how you could do it.
Spoiler
[close]