Tricky Dragon: Terror

Started by arandomhalo, February 25, 2014, 12:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arandomhalo

I'm having a tough time with the opener on Tricky Dragon: Terror from the Alpha Sector and I would appreciate any pointers.  The first thing I do is move the Orbiter to the corner since it's one microsquare out of position.  I then build two collectors and have tried various combinations of reactors, cannons, and snipers.  Like any early rush level, it requires that perfect balance of getting as much energy as you can and building only as many cannons as you need and only right before you need them.  I haven't been able to find that balance, especially with the added difficulty of keeping the runners off.  How soon is a sniper necessary?

The furthest I've got on this one is up until the first spore is launched.  I'm having such a struggle surviving that long that having a beam built and armed by then seems out of reach.  What is a good opening combination?  Collector, collector, reactor, reactor, cannon, cannon, reactor is the best I've come up with but it hasn't been good enough.  Please help.

Jamz

Haven't tried that map but just thought I'd mention, in case you didn't notice, but no scores for it have been posted. :O

arandomhalo

Hmm.  There was a thread about it being impossible to finish due to a bug (link below).  That was supposed to have been fixed in version 1.5, but now that I look at the post again, it seems it wasn't.  Perhaps surviving the first few minutes is just a step toward a bigger and more frustrating problem - eliminating the creeper but being unable to finish the level.  Maybe I'll skip this level and hope I can sleep knowing there will always be that one Alpha Zone map I didn't finish... 

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14684.0

Grauniad

"Impossible to finish" isn't quite the same as "impossible to start". :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Jamz

Quote from: Grauniad on February 25, 2014, 05:07:24 PM
"Impossible to finish" isn't quite the same as "impossible to start". :)

Yeah lol, I didn't realise there was a glitch in finishing so I assumed it was "impossible to start". :P

TrickyDragon

Its actually a lot easier to start.  I made this map when collector energy production was almost nothing.....   Start with two collectors and a cannon.  Place the cannon so it stips the digi from the north east, you wont have to worry about runmers after that.  nother collecter, but dont go into the red.  Get a beam up, and get some ore goimg.  Then reactor and a sprayer.  The sprayer will hold off the creeper from the east.  More beams and reactors.  Dont slip imto the red or you will die.  Should get you started. 
This is Life,  Life happens.

hbarudi

there are a few things about this map,
1. no scores,
2. box at bottom left of the screen
3. checking charge totem without forge nullifies all enemy units on the map but no victory even after later trying to connect all totems

as far strategy, first build 3-4 collectors, then blaster set on digitalis to prevent it from coming in,
then mine and sprayer, then at least 4 beams, then some reactors, then terp, then forge when I started building the forge, this is where the nullification bug happened.

arandomhalo

Thanks for the tips.  Being that this level is unfinishable, I've given up worrying about getting past the starting difficulties.  Sounds like a throwback to CW1 that didn't quite get coded correctly?

teknotiss

Quote from: arandomhalo on April 14, 2014, 10:59:27 AM
Thanks for the tips.  Being that this level is unfinishable, I've given up worrying about getting past the starting difficulties.  Sounds like a throwback to CW1 that didn't quite get coded correctly?

i remember this working during Alpha testing, but it was broken later and never updated, i haven't seen tricky around in a while so i guess it won't be fixed. :)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Kharnellius

Ok, good.  I was trying to figure out why I couldn't complete this map.  Suddenly everything blew up and no emitters or drone bases were left.  I connected totems and nothing.  I was actually afraid it was a trick map so I completely beefed up everything wondering if grabbing the Thor was a trap.  Lol, I over prepared for NOTHING. :P