alpha-grauniad-waternaris

Started by thejoe66, March 24, 2014, 02:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejoe66

i am having trouble beating this map. I am not able to produce energy in time on this map and when i do manage to secure my base for a few minutes i start to get over run from the top side on the command node, also i land the command node in the landing pad. A little help would be nice i'm just sure what to do on the map.
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

thejoe66

Tried aging today was able to hold out for 40 minuets but once again was unable to provide energy to advance any further and was was overrun. Any tips
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

Tjgalon

I don't have great tips, as it was very hard. If you manage to hold out for 40mins, your close to doing it right at least. A terp can help, to help get more space for building energy. this one seem to have to deal with heavy energy management. I know I also use a sheild, to help push the creeper off the ore resource close by. And a sprayer, that help take a spot for a cannon a bit. I know it took me something like 2 hours, to push to the inhibitor.  Slowly I push some on the right side away, then slowly left, to grab the totem, cause if you can get upgrade, your one your way to winning, it just takes a lot of work.

thejoe66

Well i manged to beat the map after trying 10-15 times i got the beginning on the map done just right and the rest was simply. I think it's great that there was an achievement that required you to beat such a hard world.

Tjgalon

It really does make you feel extra good for beating that mission.

Wheatmidge

Quote from: thejoe66 on March 30, 2014, 07:59:00 PM
I think it's great that there was an achievement that required you to beat such a hard world.

Now I'm intrigued, I hadn't played this alpha mission so I played it and it was a really fun. But I didn't get an achievement for completing the mission. What was the acheivement you received?

Randomgold

Quote from: Wheatmidge on March 31, 2014, 06:19:08 PM
Quote from: thejoe66 on March 30, 2014, 07:59:00 PM
I think it's great that there was an achievement that required you to beat such a hard world.

Now I'm intrigued, I hadn't played this alpha mission so I played it and it was a really fun. But I didn't get an achievement for completing the mission. What was the acheivement you received?

There's an achievement gained from beating both maps in Graunaid's system.  So if you've beaten Waternaris, then just beat the other (easier) map in that system, and there you go.

Tjgalon

It really is amazing how different the two maps are, one being really hard, and the other, really easy.

exostum

Oh I was so close to have a good start on this map !

I had 2 pulse cannon up, 1 mortar, 4 reactor, 1 terp and some collector. My energy production was positive. I started to extend my starting position with the terp... and then creeper got on my starting position by the north and killed two reactor, my terp and 2 collector.

By the way Grauniad, is this map the old version of the tormented space 200_0 warternaris ? or the fact that they share the same name is pure coincidence ?
My Work in progress Maps (On hold for now)

teknotiss

Quote from: exostum on April 03, 2014, 02:43:17 AM
Oh I was so close to have a good start on this map !

I had 2 pulse cannon up, 1 mortar, 4 reactor, 1 terp and some collector. My energy production was positive. I started to extend my starting position with the terp... and then creeper got on my starting position by the north and killed two reactor, my terp and 2 collector.

By the way Grauniad, is this map the old version of the tormented space 200_0 warternaris ? or the fact that they share the same name is pure coincidence ?

since G hasn't been around for a bit i'll try to answer, i believe this is the original tormented map, G wanted to save it as an example of a really, really hard map.  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

pawel345

Both the maps are the first versions of the maps for tormented space and prospectors zone, but as especially waternaris was really hard, it was decided to put something a bit easier as the first inhibitor for the system so that people wouldn't get discouraged. G decided that the old version should be saved and that's why it's in his system.

chwooly

Anyone who finished this map have any hints on how to start? i can get to about 15 mins in and then I am just overwhelmed by creeper.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Mefi

I can give you starting position.
Spoiler
Just build collectors then 2 generators. Screen is in moment when I set cannon and generator to build.
You can check my other screen for more spoilers.
You can also check guide made at Steam.
Main tip - Use mortars.
I won't spoil more than starting position and early game as it should be enough and it's nice map and have good feeling when you get it.