Artifacts of Odin - Can you use them for anything?

Started by Jdban, October 14, 2013, 12:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdban

I keep collecting them, can I actually use them for anything? What do they do?

Thanks!

florrat

Quote from: Jdban on October 14, 2013, 12:51:03 AM
I keep collecting them, can I actually use them for anything? What do they do?

Thanks!
After you collected one, look at the "Orbital" tab. You'll be amazed  ;)

Omegatron

Does using an AoO you've collected stop it from being added to your total collected?

teknotiss

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

iycgtptyarvg

I don't know exactly what you mean by stating 'look at the orbital' tab. Do you mean while playing? It just shows 3 drop ships. Should I see something else?

I currently have collect F=1 M=2 C=1.
What do the letters stand for?

Jdban

Quote from: iycgtptyarvg on October 16, 2013, 07:29:04 PM
I don't know exactly what you mean by stating 'look at the orbital' tab. Do you mean while playing? It just shows 3 drop ships. Should I see something else?

You have to have collected an artifact in the current playthrough of that mission.

Grauniad

Quote from: iycgtptyarvg on October 16, 2013, 07:29:04 PM

This is what you should see in-game. From that you should also be able to deduce what the F, M and C stand for, yes?

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

iycgtptyarvg

Huh?!? Man, I would never have figured that out!

I've collected them at the end of a level. So, you are saying they are useless unless you pick them up and use them during the same mission? What is the use of having them in the top left corner of the prospector zone if I can't use them?

So, what do they do?
I see they are called 'freeze', 'mass', and 'convert'.

Jdban

Quote from: iycgtptyarvg on October 17, 2013, 04:46:06 PM
Huh?!? Man, I would never have figured that out!

I've collected them at the end of a level. So, you are saying they are useless unless you pick them up and use them during the same mission? What is the use of having them in the top left corner of the prospector zone if I can't use them?

Showing you collected them all

thepenguin

Bragging rights.
We have become the creeper...

Grauniad

So, what do they do?
I see they are called 'freeze', 'mass', and 'convert'.

I suggest you collect one of each, and use it on a map. The effects are rather spectacular, each in its own way,

There is also a blog post about this, I believe... http://knucklecracker.com/blog/index.php/2013/05/artifacts-of-odin/
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Loyal

Short version:

Freeze: Completely paralyzes all emitters and creeper movement in an area for about a minute. Probably the most useful effect of the three.
Mass: A Mass Driver which destroys all creeper in an area and terraforms a "crater" into the map on impact, low in the center and high on the edges. The crater itself makes for a nice impromptu fortress.
Convert: Turns all creeper in an area into an equal amount of anti-creeper.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Loyal on October 19, 2013, 01:45:41 AM
Short version:

Freeze: Completely paralyzes all emitters and creeper movement in an area for about a minute. Probably the most useful effect of the three.
Mass: A Mass Driver which destroys all creeper in an area and terraforms a "crater" into the map on impact, low in the center and high on the edges. The crater itself makes for a nice impromptu fortress.
Convert: Turns all creeper in an area into an equal amount of anti-creeper.

Re: Freeze, you missed -
Spoiler
paralyze runners, spore towers and digitalis (though watch out - digi can grow around a frozen area.
[close]

Re: Mass, it's worth noting that -
Spoiler
the crater floor is always at a terrain height of '1', and the raised rim is '8' - regardless of the starting heights of the affected terrain. i.e. a crater in a '10' high plateau will be punched '1' deep with '8' walls, as will a crater punched into a '1' high plain.
[close]
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

iycgtptyarvg

Aha, thanks for the info. I've tried the 'mass' super weapon, but it was more of a hindrance than a boon. The ridges made it harder to approach the emitter. Convert sounds incredibly useful though, because it can mean the difference between dying and surviving a level before you have your economy going.
Getting these super-weapons once you have your economy going is somewhat useless though.

Anyway, thanks for explaining!